DIY Beauty: cucumber to brighten skin tone

cucumber diy beauty DIY Beauty: cucumber to brighten skin tone

I am loving cucumbers for my skin! It has such a wonderful cooling and soothing effect. Definitely great to be used in our hot weather.

Cucumber (Cucumis Sativus) extract is widely known for its astringent and soothing effects, on top of its anti-inflammatory actions and skin tightening properties. I’ve been using it for the past two weeks in the hope of tightening the pores on my face. My skin does feel tight when the juice dries on my face but I haven’t seen any noticeable reduction of my pore size though. I suppose I need to be more patient since it has only been two weeks. But I did notice a slight brightening effect on my face instead.

Leave on for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing off
I have been using the cucumber juice on my face twice a day after washing. What I did was to apply some juice on my dry face, leave it on for about 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing off. Over the weekend, I also tried this cucumber anti-blemish mask which I picked from The Ultimate Natural Beauty Book by Jo Fairley but I skipped the rosemary essential oil though. It’s a very fun mask to put on but be warned; this mask can draw out quite a bit of impurities and you may end up with some small zits like what I have now on my forehead.

anti blemish face mask DIY Beauty: cucumber to brighten skin tone

Recipe for Cucumber Anti-Blemish Face Mask:
– 2.5 cm (1 inch) chunk of cucumber
– 1 drop rosemary essential oil (I skipped this)
– 1 egg white

Whizz the cucumber in a blender until it becomes completely liquid, then add the drop of rosemary essential oil. Whisk the egg white until stiff, fold in the cucumber mixture and smooth over the face avoiding the eyes and mouth area. Remove after 15 minutes using a clean, damp washcloth.

The egg white definitely tautened my skin and my face felt wonderfully soft afterwards. The pores were also much smaller, but it was only temporary. But like I mentioned, be careful that this mask will draw out quite a bit of impurities and cause some zits. You may also like to cut up two thin slices and placed them on your eyes to reduce puffiness while you’re having the mask on.

Use organic cucumber whenever you can
If you can, use organic cucumber. It doesn’t cost that much especially since you only need to use a little of the juice extract. One cucumber can last me about two weeks actually; including using it once for the anti-blemish mask and cutting up thin slices to reduce puffiness on my eyes a couple of times. And you don’t need a blender to extract the juice. Because a small grater can do the job wonderfully too.

And oh, I also used the cucumber juice on my hands. They help to soften the skin quite a bit!

iherb DIY Beauty: cucumber to brighten skin tone

vivawoman1 DIY Beauty: cucumber to brighten skin tone © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

1. miyo says

hi sesame.. hw come one cucumber can last u 2 weeks.. wont it be soft?
    like if u put it in the fridge?
    or it is alright to use it even it turn slightly yellowish and soft?

miyo: Okay for mine. Didn’t change color. Still fresh actually. I wrap it with a paper towel to keep the skin dry from excess moisture and store in a plastic bag before putting in the fridge.

2. Viji says

Hi! Great recipe! How often & for how long have you been doing this for smaller pores?

Viji: For the mask, I’m trying it out once a week. The pores are immediately smaller afterwards but it’s temporary. I guess it will take a longer while to see more permanent results.

i tried cucumber on eyes before, really soothing and got rid of my tired eyes. however, i am always lazy too keep the routine alive. lol

prettybeautiful: I know…it’s quite a chore especially since you need to lie down for at least 10 minutes.

Great DIY tips! I am one of those lazy people unfortunately and I’d probably just cook or eat the cucumber! :)

parisb: Haha…I think cooking requires more effort for me!

Hmm, I tried posting a comment twice but they don’t seem to be appearing. So let’s give it another go. Testing testing testing……

Oh yay, it works this time! Okay, here is what I was saying (Hehe):

“I remember using cucumber as a masque back in my teenage years when I had blemishes. Towards the end, I’d gently rub the cucumber slices on my skin (to exfoliate, I suppose?). Not sure if it helped, but I sure did feel refreshed afterwards.”

MisSmall: Sorry, Askimet can be quite potent. But your comment ended up in moderation so I can still view it.

I think cucumber is great in terms of smell and soothing properties. It’s going to be one of my staples!

7. MICHELL says

I do really have blemishes on my skin is the cucumber the solution? i also have oily skin could you please help me with my prooblem…thanks

Michell: That alone might not work but if you try using other products like carrier oil, it may. Why don’t you join us at http://www.glowingdiva.com, a forum on natural and organic skincare and you maybe able to receive some info to help you?

• OwlsBeauty says

For oily skin, mix together lemon juice and cucumber juice. After about 15 to 20 minute, rinse off with Luke warm water (hot water can dry out your skin)

thakz u so much.i just tried it my face feels clean n freshed .love it.keep up the good work.god bless u

Rubii: Glad you love it! :)

9. goldfish says

Hi, do you need to make the mask each tim eyou need to do it? isn’t it a waste to beat an egg white and use just that tiny amount? I’m looking for solution for my big pores :(

goldfish: Yeah, I know what you mean. I try to apply as much the first few times even to my neck and then subsequently, I try to estimate what I need and leave the rest for cooking.

are you just using cucumber juice or the actual cucumber mask on your face?

you say you use it after washing face, you mean cleasning face? so this is after cleansing and before toning?

Jia: I use the juice to apply after washing my face and before toning. Sometimes I don’t tone after that but moisturize immediately after rinising.

I’ve tried cutting up the cucumber slices and leave on but I hardly use it cos it’s time consuming as I have to lie down for 20 mins or so!

can i use just the cucumber slice or is it more effect with the white eggs etc? will the effect be the same.
    :D

Jia: If you use cucumber slices alone, they’re good to soothe the skin and reduce puffiness especially around the eyes. If you use the cucumber blended with egg white, this mask is more for anti-blemish effects, drawing out impurities and tightening skin pores. Especially good for oily skin.

12. maria says

if i were to blend the cucumber with egg white, how long can i keep it in the fridge? :)

Maria: I recommend up to three days maximum. I usually use it immediately though…

13. sansan says

i have a problem with face. my face is very very dry and then at the moment i use cucumber every day to put on my face but now my face become more dry. is it the reactions of the cucumber or what? I already try many lotion or creme product to put on my face but the result still the same. what i should do? I am staying in the country with 4 seasons

San San: Hmmm…have you tried using oil on your face? Try olive oil or use something with shea butter formulated for the face. For the cucumber I suggest you mix with yogurt. Yogurt is very soothing and can be a good mask for dry skin.

• Sigga says

My first thought was that it might be that your cream is too drying for your skin. Me myself I use cucumber juice on my face and put Nourifusion daycare on my face after the juice has dried and my face doesn’t feel dry at all. I’ve started using that daycream just recently and my pimples have become less and less. I was putting lots of bad stuff on my face before, always broke out. I think at least u should maybe look for a cream that suits your facial skin and toners also.

It could be…but I’ve since switched to using a cream that’s fairly nourishing and also alternate with an anti-aging oil so they’re good. But you’re right that we need to find products that suit our skin to prevent breaking out.

• pearl says

hey, how to know which cream suits our face the best? i mean do you all go for checking with doctors? hmmm. i have been trying to improve my skin but still cant so as i read what you girls are talking about, i’m really interested in it.

• OwlsBeauty says

Sansan: here is a fantastic and natural way to get rid of dry skin. Make a mixture of honey and salt. It doesn’t take much. Spread a light coat over your face and leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes. It should moisturize you skin extremely well. Once, my face was peeling and this left my face smooth and moist. Also, you might exfoliate your skin with a sugar scrub. The honey in this mixture is a natural moisturizer, and the salt works to get rid of acne and any cuts that might be on your face. Also, remember to drink plenty of water.

14. Carolyn says

Hi, I have very loose and wrinkled skin below by eyes and so are the eyelids. Do you think cucumber will help? If so I will go out immeciately and get one! Thanks

I don’t cucumber will help with the wrinkles. I suggest you dab some oil or use eye cream/gel instead.

• Sigga says

Hey! I know one awesome remedy for wrinkles! only used it once but the morning after this one wrinkle under left eye which was more prominent than the other tiny ones, was gone! (put around the eyes and kept on overnight). but I haven’t had time for home remedies so that wrinkle’s actually come back some days later or more, didn’t keep track really. but it looked really promising and I think a 2 months period of keeping it on at night woul probably make a permanent change!
      —RECIPE: 2 tblsp Vodka, 1 tablesp. fennel seeds & 1 and half teaspoon honey, keep in closed jar or somethin with a lid, stir well together and allow it to sit for 3 days, then strain it and you have a great wrinkle treatment toner!! But watch out, it may be kinda sticky on the face when it dries so you might wanna shower the morning after? change a pillowcase? ;D

Wow…thanks for the recipe! It sounds very interesting. Would vodka be too drying used in the long run?

• Sigga says

ohh and I’ve also read that coconut oil does a wonderful job with wrinkles if massaged real gently on the skin at nighttime. u can put it all the way up to the eyelashes aswell as many other natural oils (olive oil, almond, grapeseed…). Pure castor oil is a very popular remedy for wrinkles especially and very effective, 4 blemishes aswell. The cool thing is those oils r also really good moisturizers 4 the eyelashes and promote eyelash growth aswell. Top oils 4 eyelash growth r e-vitamin oil, castor oil, coconut oil and olive oil great if the lashes r dry n thin, cause it retains moisture, therefore helps in thickening the lashes. I’ve read countless pages on home remedies, it’s a big hobby of mine and I’ll be spending a lot of time of testing them in the summer when I have time ;D
      Love to share it and hope it’ll be useful to somebody! :)

Yes, coconut oil is wonderful but I haven’t used it on its own. It’s good to learn that it’s good for the eyelashes too.

15. Roo says

Hi, I’m thinking about trying your facemask out. Should i blend the whole piece of cucumber with the dark green skin part too? and then just use the juice with the egg white or what? Thanks!

16. ojman says

what can i use for my face its oily, filled with blackheads,pimples and dark spots and not as bright as other parts of my body.any advice pls

Have you tried to exfoliate your skin? Sounds like it’s something you should do at least twice a week if you’ve not already started. You can get one of those commercial scrubs for the face or use baking soda mixed with water if you want to go DIY. But baking soda is rather abrasive, so you might want to mix with some honey. Try it on a small area of your face first, like your nose and if you like it, use it gently on other parts of your face. If you use baking soda, I suggest just once a week. Remember to moisturize well afterwards.

17. hahahahaha says

Hello.

I am 24 years male i will be going out on a date first time. But i have dark circles under my eyes,torn black dried lips,my face also looks dull :(,black heads on my nose. I have oily skin. What shall i use any help is much appriciated.

18. Jobless Girl says

Interesting, I love to give a try thanks for the tips…..
    Jobless Girl last post is: Promoters for Healthcare Product

Hi,i have scars due to my acne n d past,almost 3 yrs na to but d rednes r not yet compltly removd,wat shud i do to at least help my
    face.i hav
    oily skin.

• Sesame says

Try using a mask of yogurt. Check out some of my DIY recipes for an idea here: