The short and long of my new pixie haircut

Zoe Tay Pixie Haircut The short and long of my new pixie haircut

I’m all for short haircuts. Well, I don’t have a choice really because my limp and thin hair texture doesn’t not allow me to keep my hair long anyway. I didn’t really like the pixie haircut until I spotted it on Zoe Tay. I thought it looked very sassy and chic on her.

Variation in the length of the sides and back
The pixie haircut was made popular by Hollywood celebs like Katie Holmes and Rihanna. Even Keira Knightley took on the hairstyle, which is cut to be short and close to the head, especially the fringe. The variation is in the length of the sides and back, where one can tailor to allow for longer or shorter hair.

pixie short hairdo The short and long of my new pixie haircut

Blunt fringe with short back
So earlier in the week, I went for my haircut and my hairstylist gave me something that is kind of pixie-like. A short and blunt fringe – something which I rarely have and quite a short back. But he kept the sides slightly longish. Even though I think it’s different, but my son kept reminding me that my hair now looks like Zoe’s in The Ultimatum.

More attention on facial features
With a style like that, it’s a bit of a double-edge sword. On one hand, I can look a bit more youngish but on the other hand, more attention is put on my face. Hence, I have to put a bit more color to my pale face plus contour my cheeks a little so that my face don’t look too fat! In terms of styling, it really depends. I can also wash and wear this haircut quite well but if I want to look more chic, then I should spend more time styling it with hair gel or mousse.

Victoria Beckham is growing out her pixie
Anyway, I’ve just learnt that Victoria Beckham is letting her pixie haircut grow out. It was reported that when she was spotted in Los Angeles recently, her brunette locks reached just a few inches above her shoulders. Heh. So I guess I can visit my hairstylist in another three months’ time!

vivawoman1 The short and long of my new pixie haircut © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

I love your new hair cut, cute and chic. I’ve similiar one few years ago, but very take time and $, so long hair is easier. 3 months seems a long time, I went for trimming every 1.5 months in that time even I want to return to long hair.

Heheh…I was kidding about the 3 months. Usually I need a haircut every 2 months. Longest I can stretch is 2.5 months but the hair would look a terrible state by then.

2. flochoe says

Love your new chic look! Vibrant and you looked so fresh and young :)

Wish I have a slimmer face for this hairstyle…

I actually thought my face look a bit fat with this cut, which I don’t mind cos I’ve lost a bit of weight and prefer not to look sunken.

i love your haircut, its so chic and it frames your face well. i can never pulloff such a haircut. makes me look fatter :(

Nothing like that…your face does not resemble a fishball! You’ve got a pretty face! And long hair is nice on you too.

My face shape is oval so I guess this works…plus I’ve lost some weight and the fats are gone too.

4. pf1123 says

Hey Sesame! You looked great! Yes, I believe that shorter, sassier hair instantly takes a few years off! I think your cut draws attention to your the apple of your cheek (shown above). Good idea to contour your cheeks! I think bright polished cheeks also makes one look younger and fresher!

How do you contour your cheeks? I contour my face at the side towards my chin with a shadow shade so my face looks sharper and slimmer.

I had my hair cut dramatically shorter about a year or so ago. People couldn’t recognised me! I was with shoulder length hair and suddenly I cut it a bit shy of my jaw line.

After that, I let grow out for about 10 mths with just trims.

A month ago, I went for another cut. Changed my hair stylist first time in years! I have an inverted bob with my left side longer than my right.

The layer was fantastic at my back. I have a rather flat head and I’m pleased with the bob which gave me some volume at the back. The hair stylist did a great job at doing the asymmetrical layering as its also shorter on the right and longer on the left at the back.

Immediately, I felt that this haircut made my eyes look bigger! Or perhaps it just focus the attention to my eyes. :D

I’m very happy with this cut!

Hey PF, you’re very lucky to have such thick hair because you have a lot more room to play with. I think the bob should look very flattering on you! My hairstylist always say I’m lucky because I have a round head shape to compensate for my lack of hair. Otherwise, his job will be very difficult! Hee…

5. stiffedneck says

Great hair cut!!! I cut my hair short as well, like Victoria Beckham wen she first cut it short 2 yrs ago. I don’t want to have long hair anymore afterward, since shorter cut makes my hair look more volume like urs too.

I like the convenience of short hair too and I find that as women age, fewer look great with long hair.

This haircut is perfect for you! I often agonise over the beauty of shorter hair cuts and the desire to keep my hair long. ;-)

I know what you mean. Sometimes I look at a nice hairstyle which is longer and immediately I wish I have long hair. Haha…

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side? :razz:

Forgot to answer your q about contouring. I use the same technique as yours but with a light hand as my face is quite small…too much and it’ll look sunken and old.

Oh never tried flat iron…always thought it’ll make my hair more limp. But adding wax is an interesting idea!

7. Richard says

I don’t know how long your hair was before you took these pictures but I will say that, as a hair pro myself, this shorter hair suits you perfectly. It’s a very flattering cut for a pretty face like yours and would look just as good a tad shorter on the ears next time too.