How not to put on weight this holiday season

1144569 50987321 How not to put on weight this holiday season

A colleague of mine was talking about preparing a Christmas meal consisting of turkey, salmon, beef and log cake. And inevitably, someone mentioned that it’s so easy to put on weight during this holiday season since all the partying will involve eating. Well, it’s quite hard to avoid good food of course but if you’re concerned about weight gain, then you might want to follow what the Japanese preach – eat slowly.

In fact, according to a study by The University of Rhode Island in 2006, 30 normal-weight, college-age women proved the point. In the lab test, the 30 women were given a large plate of pasta and told to eat as much as they wanted on two occasions.

When they were told to eat quickly, they consumed 646 calories in nine minutes, but when they were encouraged to pause between bites and chew each mouthful 15 to 20 times, they ate just 579 calories in 29 minutes.

“Satiety signals clearly need time to develop,” said Kathleen Melanson, assistant professor of nutrition and food science at the University of Rhode Island. “Not only did the women take in fewer calories when they ate more slowly, they had a greater feeling of satiety at meal completion and 60 minutes afterwards, which strongly suggests benefits to eating more slowly.”

I don’t know if this holds much water at all but in any case, its a good idea to slow down, savor and enjoy your food more.  And definitely no harm to make some  small talks, which will allow you time to linger over your meal. For me, perhaps the opposite is true since I want some weight gains.  I should stay focus on my food and gobble them up as quickly as possible. Ha!  But perhaps I should get my son to finish up his meals quickly.  He’s forever taking a long time and that could be why he’s so skinny!

vivawoman1 How not to put on weight this holiday season © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

it is pretty similar to the very slim french women who always take their time to eat and enjoy their food. Never rushed. so impt for christmas with tons of food!

2. Suz says

GO RHODE ISLAND UNI!!! I lived and went to college in RI!!! ahaha good study.

I need to take the approach! I really do eat fast…which sucks…when I see food is good…I just eat away like there is no tomorrow! But that’s only after I get home to a an actual “meal” which my mom cooks!! But thank god it’s eaten before 8pm!!!

Oh you did! That’s a good institution!

I think it’s quite natural to eat quickly when we’re in a rush or hungry but for digestion sake, it might be better to slow down.

3. Sparklewolfie says

this is so true! and if you eat too fast you can get a stomach ache too :( At work we have such short time to eat I always eat very fast and still feel hungry, and then 10 minutes later I will realize I actually ate too much and feel sick because my body did not have time to say it is full while I was eating so fast :(

4. Lucia says

Thanks so Mh for suggestion :) I knew that eating too fast was not good for weight, than is better take your time during the meal.
    I also know that is better drink water during the day and not too much during the meal, yes it cause more satiety but is not good for regular digestion.

Everyone should read your post! LOL. I am trying to lose weight so this holiday season is quite a challenge. I’ve proven it though that eating slowly and leisurely (having conversations while eating) indeed makes you consume less.
    – Kaith

But the foodstuff are soooo good. I’ll try my hardest not to get fatter this year. I’m at a healthy weight, so I need to maintain this! I hope I can resist piling up my plate with our delicious christmas dinner :(

Piling up is probably okay if you don’t gobble them all at once. Heh. But maybe if you eat slowly, you won’t be able to polish your plate clean.

Great blog, an all natural diet will help, keep in mind that it’s not what you do once in awhile that matters, rather it’s what you do everyday that will produce the results.