Is it really a Shinzi Katoh Zakka Tote?

Shinzi Katoh Tote Bag Is it really a Shinzi Katoh Zakka Tote?

Guess what I spotted at my favorite stationery shop located at level 2 in Funan Centre? Shinzi Katoh zipper tote bags! I was so excited especially after finding out that each only cost S$18.90! If you’re a lover of Shinzi Katoh Zakka and Art like me, you’ll know that their stuff are pretty expensive. My Shinzi Katoh Sheep Tote already cost S$49 before any discounts and even a little memopad cos about S$7. So naturally, I had my doubts on the authenticity of these bags. Upon verifying with the store assistant, I was told that the lower price is due to the fact that the bags were brought in directly, bypassing any middlemen and that the bags were made in China.

Shinzi Katoh Tote Bag1 Is it really a Shinzi Katoh Zakka Tote?

Well, real or not, I decided to get one anyway. The bag is labeled as Shinzi Katoh Enlarge and it is larger and roomier than Rootote. Five designs were spotted at the store, all made from light canvas material with zip closure and internal pockets. There are two red ones, but I couldn’t recognize the designs immediately as Shinzi Katoh’s. But apparently, the one I bought is called A Dog Tote Bag after I ran a search online and found four of the designs at JStyle.

Picnik collage2 Is it really a Shinzi Katoh Zakka Tote?

Each Shinzi Katoh Enlarge bag comes with two different designs on both sides and this is quite typical of Shinzi Katoh bags. Even the base has a separate design. I’m going to use this as a work bag as I can fit in my large files plus my barangs.

For those who are new to Shinzi Katoh, he is Japan’s best known Zakka artist and designer and his collectible goods are to-die-for as I often have written. If you love Zakka, then you’ll love his stationery and bags.

vivawoman1 Is it really a Shinzi Katoh Zakka Tote? © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

“A dog in a cozy house next to a park” such a delightful phrase! I would probably pick out this tote with the dog too if i had to choose (“,) since i love pooches :p

Thanks for the info, Sesame. I actually wanted to go down to Funan to get one but found mine at Kinokuniya Liang Court yesterday. Bought the last piece of the red design. There were three more designs left when I left the store, out of which two designs only had one piece. The third design is grey in colour. Can’t really remember the illustration though. Anyone who’s staying or working nearby can check it out today. They are actually on sale at $18.

Oh they have it at Kino at Liang Court too? That’s great! I like going to that Kino too as they have quite a lot of bags there.

Besides the dog, there is one on farm, one on three cats and one on zoo. Forgot what’s the other one which is red.

• says

The red design is the one on zoo. Didn’t see the design on the three cats, otherwise would have bought that too.

I feel that Kino Liang Court has more variety of those kawaii Japanese stationery.

Yes, yes…I love Kino at Liang Court. I usually spend some time there if I head there for lunch but it’s been maybe two or three months since I last visited. Must go soon. :)

3. li says

If you mind about legitimacy and rights of the designer/ brand owner, caution is recommended.

You might be getting grey / parallel imported goods. The goods may or may not be genuine, they may be “rejected” goods from the brand, or they might be out and out fakes.

4. emily says

hi Sesame, any recommendations for canvas totes? i like them! (want to lug heavy items to school) :) is this shop u recommended still selling those totes? totes are rarely seen nowadays…