DIY Beauty: eye mask for Kung Fu Panda

DIY eyebag for dark circles DIY Beauty: eye mask for Kung Fu Panda

Heya! It’s been awhile since I featured a DIY recipe. I read about using grated cucumber and potato for the eyes in a book recently and decided to try this. I knew about using them individually as slices to soothe the eyes but hadn’t thought about mixing them together. It’s a bit messy, as Po can testify. But he likes it and so I think it’s a good recipe to try sometimes. Instead of just placing the entire mixture directly on the eyes, I tried putting the contents in a tea bag and it was perfect as an eye mask!

Benefits of cucumber and potato for the eyes
Both cucumber and potato are useful to reduce puffy eyes because both have astringent properties that can help decrease water retention. In addition, it is said that because cucumber contains high amounts of ascorbic acid and caffeic acid, it is great in minimizing the problem of puffy eyes. Potato juice on the other hand, is also said to be very effective in removing the dark circles around the eye because of its liquid starch content and catecholase, an enzyme in potatoes that is often used as a skin lightener.

DIY home remedy for eyes DIY Beauty: eye mask for Kung Fu Panda

Make an eye mask out of the mixture
This is a very simple DIY home remedy. All you need is to grate both cucumber and potato in equal amount, mix them together, squeeze out the juice so that it’s not too wet and messy, and then apply the mixture directly on your eyelids. A better way of doing this is to use a filter bag. I remember seeing empty tea sachets that allows you to put your own tea leaves but because I didn’t have them at home, I emptied one of the tea bags containing some Chinese tea and filled it with the cucumber and potato mixture. It was perfect!

potato cucumber DIY eye remedy DIY Beauty: eye mask for Kung Fu Panda

Apply the juice to the rest of the face
I’m going to get myself more tea bags for this DIY remedy. It’s very soothing especially if you leave it in the fridge first, and does help to relieve puffy eyes. I can’t say that much for helping with my dark eye circles though and Po’s eyes are still panda eyes! I suppose it will have to take more bags to do that. While using the mixture as an eye mask, I used some of the juice to apply on my face too since both ingredients have skin lightening properties. And like Po, I think this is better than Kung Fu!

vivawoman1 DIY Beauty: eye mask for Kung Fu Panda © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

1. CT says

I am going to drink more tea, so i can use the tea bags for eye masks. Cheaper than buying eye masks.

The bags have to be dry or it’ll be difficult to use. I saw those empty sachets sold at Meidiya before. Going to get those instead.

But actually after you drink tea, those tea bags with the content in it can also be used to soothe your eyes like an eye mask. ;) Tea contains tannin which has anti-inflammatory effects and will help reduce puffiness too.

2. kiwi says

I’m gonna try it!!! Wonder if it’ll help my eczema around my right eye though, which pretty much makes me look like i have an ‘orh bak kak’.

Not sure if it’ll help with eczema but I did read that grated potato can help relieve the itching.

Yeah, this is not going to help those with dark circles due to internal health or hereditary issues…like Po. :razz:

I’m glad the photos made you laugh. I laughed too when I saw Po enjoying his eye pack! :grin:

3. mel says

I saw in some korean drama serials that the women put slices of potatoes on their faces for home facial. so i guess it really works! i thought it was a old wives tales thingy.

I find it works for puffy eyes but not so much dark circles. But I had some readers who told me that potato works for their dark circles.

4. fwy says

I was using my Genmai Cha teabags on my dark eye circle for some time but could not see any improvements.

I find teabags work to relieve tired eyes and puffiness…doesn’t work with dark eye circles. My dark eye circles are also difficult to get rid off; it’s probably more of an internal issue for me.

• fwy says

Anyway, I’ve switched to drinking Ginseng Tea & has stopped putting teabags on my eye area.

5. yay says

i heard about this before using cucumber & potato but not together.. too lazy to try potato on the eyes but i did try using cucumber.. i didn’t see a different but it was relaxing…i love how u r using Po for this demonstration.. =)

It should help to soothe the eyes and reduce puffiness if you have that issue. I find the grated one works better than the sliced ones though.

6. Ellie-B says

I love your blog! :) I found it through google search a few months ago. It’s so intelligent and girly, which I love. Yay for natural skin care. Thanks for bringing something great to the internet.

How long did you have to put the mask to feel the cooling effects? Better to put in the fridge first? Do you think it will help with puffy face too?

I don’t think it’ll help with puffy face but you can try. With puffy face, you might want to try a facial massage. See this post where I mentioned an easy DIY massage:

For cucumber and potato mixture, put them in the fridge for around 15 mins or so before using them if you like them cooling.

8. ktee says

I read somewhere which suggested that you soak facial cottons in chilled fresh cucumber juice and put them on the eyes. Have not tried the method..less messy i guess.. What do you think?

Hey, that’s a good idea too! I tried that with cucumber juice before. Just that it’s kind of a waste to throw away the grated stuff.

Hey that’s a really cool article. I tried all these type of stuff for almost 6 years without any change in my under eye bags. Then I went for eyelid surgery. Now I am really happy with my eyes , I really regret for wasting six precious years of my life. May be home remedies will work for those who are in initial stages but not for those whose capillaries under eyes are already broken

Such remedies are good to relieve puffy eyes but I don’t see them helping to remove eye bags or dark circles. It’s great you found your solution.

10. Janiece says

I bet if I used the juice on a compressed face mask it would be very soothing on my whole face. I just did a mixture of cucumber juice and tea tree oil and it felt great. I’m glad to have a different use for the grated cucumber, now.

11. Ann says

I have come accross your webpage many time when googling for skincare, and I absolutely love it. It is now in my favourites bookmark. Thanks for great job.

I found that using potato slices improves my puffy eyes condition considerably. Will try out your DIY suggestion ! Thanks.

• Isabelle says

I think it was the pressure on my eyes, if I even touch them the dark circles become more prominent. But on a closer inspection hours later they’ve become way better than they were before. I’m pleasantly suprised.

That’s quite strange. But I’m glad they’re now better. It’s best that you use the remedy with care then cos perhaps your skin react differently.

hi there. awesome blog you have =) hahaha. those pictures are so cute..
    btw, do you wash your face after doing the eye mask? or you just proceed by applying eye cream?

Thank you for your comments and kind words. :)

For the mask, there’s no need to wash off; I just pat dry with a tissue.

13. lavah says

OMG I’m new to ur website but ur home remedies are amazing:)
    I love ur cute pic….
    ok I have got serious dark circles problem under my eyes if i use this mask how long will i see the result?
    Thanks

It’s very hard to say cos it depends if your dark circles are due to an internal issue. If it is, it may take a longer time or it will not help.

14. Emily says

Thanks for the blog… great info… I travel a lot so carrying a cucumber and potatoes in my bag is not a viable option… so I wonder if I juiced them mixed them and then kept in fridge could I apply to cotton pads and place them under my eyes and also how many days do you think it would retain its active ingredients? Just an idea … many thanks

• Sesame says

Yes, it can work but these are best fresh or kept in the fridge for a max of 1 – 2 days cos when you juice them, they become liquid and bacteria can grow quickly.

15. sarah says

I saw a womn on youtube do. Green tea jello.mak fo dark circles. I tried it abd add lime juice to the boiling water.it wirked y.well made skin supper sof tkk but i think.i will.try to add the.potato n cucumber to tb jello mix