Can I use normal body or baby powder on my hair?

powder Can I use normal body or baby powder on my hair?

Someone asked me why do I need to use a special dry shampoo for my hair to keep the grease away; since it looks and feels like powder, so why can’t I just use the normal body powder or baby powder for my hair. Well, although the dry shampoo that I use looks and almost feels like normal powder, it is quite far from it. I’ve actually tried using normal body or baby powder on my hair before but the effects are quite different.

Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo With Oat Milk
Because I have extra oily hair – scalp will start secreting oil an hour or two after shampoo – I have been using Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo on an almost daily basis. It’s made with softening and protective oat extract, and keeps hair sebum at bay by penetrating the hair, absorbing dirt and grease but not drying it out. What I do is to squeeze some of the powder onto my bare hands, rub it onto my hair with my head down and brush it out after a minute or two. When brushed out, Klorane Oat Extract Dry Shampoo takes all these impurities with it, and my hair looks really clean and may I add, with some volume.

dry shampoo ingredients Can I use normal body or baby powder on my hair?

Ingredients are different
If you examine a bottle of Johnson’s Baby Powder, you’ll notice that only Talc and Fragrance are being listed. However, the Klorane Oat Extract Dry Shamopoo contains Oryza Sativa(Rice), Starch(Oryza Sativa), Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Hectorite, Avena Sativa(Oat), Kernel Flour (Avena Sativa), Kaolin, Silica, Cyclodextrin, and Fragance(Parfum) – many of these ingredients help to absorb grease and sebum.

Effects less lasting with normal powder
Personally, I’ve tried using normal body powder or baby powder on my hair and the effects are not quite the same. While they do help to absorb the grease, but the effects do not last quite as long as compared to a dedicated dry shampoo. Plus, they tend to make my hair too soft and hence, there is absolutely no volume so to speak.

So any of you used a normal body powder on your hair before? Or are any of you also using a dry shampoo like me?

vivawoman1 Can I use normal body or baby powder on my hair? © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

The powder is typically associated with those who can’t shampoo their hair during the confinement period. But it’s also useful for those with super duper oily hair…like mine. :)

I never know such thing until I read this. Where did you get this product and how much? I am currently experiencing post partum hair loss, oily scalp and flat yet tangled hair (so problematic). I am using the shampoo for oily hair (recommended by the guy who does herbal treatment for my hair, but it only made them tangled more.

You can find it at the Klorane counter located within Guardian Pharmacy – if you are located in Singapore.

• says

Bought and tried yesterday. Agree with the volume part, but since its the first time using, I don’t feel like my hair is clean :). But like this quick fix when I’m too busy to wash the hair. Thanks :)

2. pf1123 says

I have tried this Klorane one, Tony & Guy and Batiste.

I like Tony & Guy best. Very fresh and feeling. Klorane is good. Batiste is ok but feels really artificial…but its the cheapest.

Oh thanks for telling me! I must give the Tony & Guy one a try soon. It’s affordable too. Think I saw it at Watsons too if I’ve not been mistaken.

3. Ozana says

Do you happen to know if the aluminimum they use in the dry shampoo is the same as the one people try to avoid in the deodorants, or is it a different ingredient?

Yes, it should be the same but unlike the deodorant, you don’t apply this on your skin. In fact, you don’t even apply this on your scalp but only brush it into your hair. The thing is, I always have to stop breathing when I apply my dry shampoo so that I’ll not inhale the stuff.

Just pour some powder onto the palm of my hand, throw my head down and then rub into the fringe and sides of my hair, leave it there for about two minutes or so before brushing out.

4. Audris says

I use the Klorane occasionally too. But I have a problem with brushing it thoroughly out of my hair. Or maybe I’ve used too much? But on the occasions when I underuse the powder, there’s some some oily parts of my hair not soaked up by the powder. Hmm, hard to strike a balance for me or maybe I lack the technique.

I love the instant volume it gives too! Priced ok.

Have you any tips on how to achieve a good balance between using just enough powder? Or brushing it out thoroughly?

Do you spray it or brush in into your hair with your hand? I find the control better when using my hand and the trick is to bend over your head so that you can get the powder on the hair area you want to cut down grease. (You sort of finger thru your hair with the powder still in your palm)

I don’t use it on my entire head but only on the fringe and side as that’s the area that tends to plaster on my face. In addition, make sure your hand or hair are not wet or it’ll leave some white residue on your hair.

I also know what some people do is to brush the powder on the entire head of hair and then using their hands or a dry towel to “scatter” the powder all over. I suppose you need some trial and error.

5. Ann says

Never tried a dry shampoo before but I’ve used errmmm … Vagisil deodorant powder on my hair before. It’s finer n works better than baby powder. But I the effect fr a proper dry shampoo would be much better.

Really??? That’s VERY interesting! :razz: I will check the product out cos I’ve seen them but never took a closer look. Haha…but probably won’t use on my hair.

6. Shaynnie says

Hi Viva Woman!

Seems like an interesting blog you got here..

I do have a couple of issue related to skincare for dry & sensitive skin & injured toe nail that needs to be rescued in time as it looks pretty bad now.

Perhaps you can provide me some view that you got for my future referencing?

It’s my first time using skincare products and i have alot of bad experiences. Rashes developed when i have lost some faith on skincare products.

Currently, i am introduced to this brand of products by La Roche-Posay. It’s said to be good for dry & sensitive skin and i am not sure if i should purchase it.

I do sports pretty frequently and got this pretty nasty bruise on my toes. It don’t seems to be growing and i get some pain when i press it on the side. Is there any alternatives that i can do at home instead of going to a doctor?

Please advice soon.

Thanks!

Your rashes could be allergy to some ingredients or maybe you have sensitive skin. The best is to get sample sizes to try. With skin care, it’s a bit of a trial and error. Plus, a bit hard to advice without looking at your skin. Maybe you can approach one of the beauty consultants to have your skin diagnosed – whether it is oily, dry, normal, combination.

As for your toes, I really can’t advice much other than suggesting your purchase a balm from the pharmacy to rub. You may need to massage to get rid of the bruise.

Oh that’s interesting…it sounds like a styling product you’re mixing with. But I wonder how powder can possibly work well with the other stuff.