Are your late nights causing acne on your forehead?

acne series Are your late nights causing acne on your forehead?

Some of you may recall that I used to write a fair bit about acne here. Since resolving my acne issues, I don’t write much on that topic anymore but I realized that there are many who come to this blog looking for such information. In fact, I’m most amused that a popular search string that turns up frequently on my blog stats is “viva woman pimples”. LOL. Anyway, I recently read up some interesting info on acne issues in a Chinese book and thought I’ll share them here.

For a start, let’s look at what causes acne on one’s forehead.

Toxins in the liver
According to the Chinese book I’ve read, acne or pimples on the forehead is a result of toxicity in the liver. Usually, imbalances in the liver is a result of late nights and insufficient rest. So for some people, the result could be pimples and acne on the forehead.

Lack of sleep
Do you often sleep late? Are you under stress? And do you have pimples or acne or your forehead?  You might like to know that sleep deprivation is a common cause for acne anyway.  In an earlier entry I’ve written, I mentioned an epidemiological study of acne vulgaris conducted in Japan by the Japanese Journal of Dermatology, where 58.6% of the 793 students ranging from the sixth grade of elementary school to nursing or medical school were polled and more than half of them stated that lack of sleep as one of the exacerbating factors.

Inflammatory cytokines promote acne production
Apparently, a lack of sleep can increase inflammatory cytokines. Cytokines has high in proteins that is a major cause of acne when the intake is too much.  According to the book Acne and Its Therapy, cytokines interferes with the secretion of natural lipid from the sebaceous glands and makes the skin more proned to acne production.

Tips to prevent forehead acne
If you have acne on your forehead, perhaps you want to consider sleeping earlier, between 11pm and 3am as that’s the time when our livers dispels toxins. Avoid alcohol and smoking, and drink more water to help to dispel some of the toxin build up.

Check out other posts in the acne series here:
cheek acne takes longer time to heal
how to get rid of back acne

vivawoman1 Are your late nights causing acne on your forehead? © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

*waves hi to viva woman pimples*
    when i have major acne breakout on the forehead, it’s usually due to extreme stress and lack of sleep >< however, i have been getting quite enough sleep lately and exercises really help to keep stress level low. major help would be the fish oil that i have been taking, only one or two pop up even during time of the month!
    xin last post is: Be Waterful with Laneige Water Bank Essence & Mineral Skin Mist

• Sesame says

Oh ya, I think fish oil helps some people with their acne issues. Great it’s working well for you!

2. fatima says

its awrsome how u update like everyday! :D also i was wondering when is the right age to strat wearing masks??

Thank you Viva Woman for this post. Thank you for these great tips. I often get acne on my forehead… I work weird hours. I definitely believe I am the victim of not getting enough sleep. I didn’t realize that acne was related to how much sleep I get each night. More reasons for me to sleep late :)

oh my!!! your post just solved my problem.. recently i have joined another firm, whose timings are from 1 pm. to 10pm, and these days, i am always sleeping between 12am to 1am, and i have got 2 new pimples on my forehead :( though i never had any pimple before.. n i was confuse about the reason of these pimples,,, and look here what i found.. but what to do.. as i cannot change my sleep timings because of my job :(
    Nancy@Permanent Cosmetics last post is: Benefits Of Micro Art Makeup For The Summer

5. Katrina says

Hi there!

First off, thank you so much for your tip on honey and nutmeg. definitely helped clear off the PIH although it took a few weeks of nightly masks :) I only get acne on my chin during periods, and very rarely get them on my forehead/ cheeks.

However, the past 2 weeks i’ve got a bad case of wisdom tooth related pain, and i noticed clusters of red angry acne (about 5/6) appearing on my lower left cheek acne. this was a thoroughly new ‘site’ of acne for me and when i googled, some sites showed that lower left cheek acne is caused by poor dental hygiene/ inflammation in gums or teeth.

however other sites alludes lower cheeks to hormonal issues, i remain really perplexed cause i never used to have it there before but on my chin only. The reason of dental hygiene seems to be a stronger point but i have difficulties believing that’s the cause hahaha

have you heard of the lower left cheek and dental issues link?

• Sesame says

Er no…I think lower cheeks can mean digestive issues. I had it some time back and it was due to a poor digestive system.

• Katrina says

Yeah, i guess you’re right- my toothache is all gone but my acne is still persisting.. and its ONLY on the lower cheeks, nowhere else!! digestion perhaps? or.. hormones? ahhh these pimples really have a life of their own!!
        they usually come in the form of reallllly tiny clogged pores and the occasional inflamed pustule (1/2) at a time. I guess some of these clogged pores gets infected, turning them into inflamed ones.

I’m using a really good cleanser from true beauty, i guess that’s why it heals up pretty quick( 2-3) days. However, each time it clears up, new ones come up :(

what do u suggest i do? i’m staying off dairy so yogurt’s out.. i know u took some acidophilus supplements, but i don’t really wanna depend on them too much, OR should i?

Great advice! I knew sleep and stress were causes of acne but I didn’t know that my liver played any part in that. You’ve also gave me a great excuse to sleep in LOL! Thanks!
    Mary last post is: Revitol Acnezine – About The Company, The Product And Where To Buy It