DIY Beauty: grounded rice body scrub

DIY Beauty: grounded rice body scrub

I sometimes like to grind my rice grains to make porridge.  So while doing that the other day, I decided to grind a bit more to test how the grounded rice would work as a body scrub.  And because they weren’t that fine, I didn’t want to use it on my face.

Great for exfoliating
The color of the grounded rice is such because it was a mixture of white and brown rice grains. Except for the grinding, this is easy to make.  All I did was to add water to the grounded rice grain to make an exfoliating scrub.  I didn’t want anything fanciful but of course if you like, you can add some oats, almond or olive oils and even essential oils for the moisturizing and aroma factors.  Again, it’s up to your imagination and creativity!

DIY Beauty: grounded rice body scrub

Consistency is better than epsom salt recipe
Compared to the homemade epsom bath salt scrub, I actually like the firm consistency of this better because the grounded rice blended quite well with water and isn’t as loose and hence, doesn’t drop off that easily when I rub them on my skin. In addition, there are no worries about smarting in case of open wounds. And it’s really up to you to decide how fine or how coarse the rice grains should be grounded.

Add a handful to your shower gel
In terms of benefits, rice has been said to have whitening properties but I can’t vouch for that, at least not in the short term. However, I’ll say that this works as a nice homemade body scrub.  Very simple.  Nothing fanciful. You can also mix some of your favorite shower gel with a handful of grounded rice to create the ultimate exfoliating scrub. If you have loved using epsom salt as a body scrub, you would love this too!

vivawoman1 DIY Beauty: grounded rice body scrub © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice
_______________________________________________________

About Sesame

Blog editor of Viva Woman, Sesame is a skin care addict who is fond of using natural & organic beauty products. She also enjoys ogling at handmade jewelry & cute stationery.

_______________________________________________________

Comments

1. thanks for the tip! :D now i can make good use of those rice which i never am able to finish!

2. pf1123 says:

Sounds good. But I thought salt or sugar might be good coz they melt as you scrub. So less possibility of over scrub. Rice won’t melt right?

• sesame says:

Never thought about the melting bit. But this is about the same effect as those commercial scrubs using almond shell powder. If you grind the grains fine enough, there shouldn’t be an issue.

3. Thank you, I really love reading your write up :)

4. Ms. Blacklace says:

oh wow i didn’t think about that! I ground rice too but i use it as a facial scrub. It depends on how fine it’s grounded. But just have to remember to be gentle.

• sesame says:

I didn’t want to use it as a face scrub because the rice grains weren’t washed before they were grounded.

5. thank you for providing another informative entry. i’d love to try this.

6. Fantastic post…love the DIY posts!

7. Hi Sesame,

Thanks for the post. I love body scrubs. will try it, since this is natural! :)

8. Ever since I have problem with acne, I’ve tried rice flour add with water to make it into a paste for facial mask very alternate day and it help to soothe my acne. It was past down my grandmother.

9. chark says:

Have been following your entries for quite some time… thank you for constanly providing so much useful information! cheers:)

10. That’s super interesting. I’ve never thought about grinding rice to make porridge. I might just try that one day. Nice recipe for a body scrub Sesame. I don’t do much for my body and I feel now should be the time, haha.

• sesame says:

Grinding for porridge is great cos the porridge comes out more like a paste – like what we eat for dimsum – and it taste better.

11. hey thanks for the tip i love ur blog u rock!!!also can we do this everyday on face before going to bed and tell me your experice with this scrub thanks

• sesame says:

Don’t scrub everyday unless you have it as rice flour. I think over scrubbing isn’t great for our skin. It can thin the skin and render it more sensitive over time. And yes, you can use white rice.

12. sorry but can i use white rice

13. Hi, Thanks for the post i will most definately try making a face and body scrub from this. This could be a silly question but could you give me any tips on how to grind rice?
    Thank you.

14. Thanks for the tips, I alos read about the whitening and brightening properties of rice, thats why I googled a rice scrub and found your site ;)
    Loving it,
    Maila last post is: Poetry can be . . .

15. Ossia says:

Hello! I LOVE your blog and have been reading it since i discovered it a few months ago.
    If i may ask…
    Can grounded rice be mixed with johnson & john sons baby shower gel?
    Ha ha, I ‘ve already mixed some of the grounded rice to the bottle and have a about 250 ml of the mixture which will last for quite some time. Am wondering now if the rice will spoil or rot after some amount of time? Or does the preservative ingredients in the shower gel will keep it from spoiling for a few months at least? It’d be sad to toss the whole bottle away :(

1. [...] 2 nights ago, we tried out the recipe Instead of using sugar or salt, we decided to use brown rice [...]