Bai Feng Wan: a woman’s pill from a black chicken

Let me introduce you to Bai Feng Wan (白凤丸), a medicine used by some practitioners of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) to replenish blood and treat gynecological problems. It is said to be particularly great for those with pre-menstrual syndrome or menstrual problems as well as those with anemia or other types of blood disorder.

Old formula was horrible to taste
Thanks to my mom who forced me to take this on a monthly basis since I was around 13 years old, I had very little menstrual issues until I stop taking it in my 30s. The reason I stopped taking this was because many years ago, this pill was horrible to ingest as the old formula was just one whole lump of a black-brown ball that tasted both bitter and sweet.

Newer formula is more palatable
It sometimes took me a good hour to finishing gnawing at the stuff and all the time, my mom had to keep a watch over me just to ensure I didn’t spit out the content. Today, the big lump is made into smaller pills that are much more palatable. So the women today are much more fortunate!

Main ingredient is the black chicken
The name you see on the first picture literally means black chicken (Wuji), white phoenix (Bai Feng) pills because the main ingredient of this pill comes from a particular chicken with pure white feather but has black colored bones, meat, and skin. You see the image of the chicken on the box too and most Chinese would be quite familiar with this black chicken because it is often used in the brew of herbal soups.

Help maintains health and youth
There are many brands of Bai Feng Wan in the market today but all of them are supposed to help adjust estrogen levels, lower blood pressure and boost the immune system. Regular consumption of this pill is said to relieve menstrual cramps, prevents the symptoms of menopause and PMS, corrects hormone imbalance and acts as a general tonic for the female reproductive system. Apparently, it is also good to treat dry cough as well as dry skin and consuming it regularly will help one maintain better health and youth. I even understand that there are new versions incorporating collagen within the formula.

I’m not sure if many ladies today still take this stuff but seeing that they’re still sold in the medical halls, I suppose there must be a group of them who consumes this regularly. Are you one of them?

© www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

Hmmm. Do you take this? And can you list the ingredients? While I can decipher some of them, others look… questionable

The ingredients are on the box…they are Chinese herbs and I recognize some of them, which I take quite regularly.

Definitely…herbal soups also taste better. This is a herbal soup in a pill but it’s not so great tasting though.

2. fwy says

I remember taking the ones from Eu Yan Sang 4 years ago but had since stopped. I don’t like the taste although they come in smaller pills & thus more convenient to swallow.

The smaller pills are indeed way easier to swallow but yes, there is that medicinal taste that most pple do not like.

3. Gem says

This brand is okay. I myself have tried it… it was recommended by my therapist. She studied chinese medicine & she is very health-conscious too. she won’t consume anything that is harmful. she will always check the ingredients thoroughly.

I see…I got it from Hock Hua. I suppose the stuff sold in their outlets should be safe and that’s why I purchased it. Definitely glad to know it’s approved.

I remember mum used to tell me to take these every month after my period. I think they do help to prevent abdominal cramps as I never had them until I stopped taking them 3 years ago when I entered uni.

They are pretty helpful…in a way I thank my mom for forcing me to take them over those years.

5. espenine says

Yup, I am a regular eater. Taking the brand Ren Xin Tang from HK, its Bai Feng wan with Bird’s Nest. I find that it helps to clear the menstrual blood more thoroughly & lasts shorter days.

Have seen that brand around but am not aware it comes with bird’s nest. Sounds like premium stuff.

i have them at home…but they tend to break me out -_- so i am not sure if i should continue for the sake of general health or to stop for the sake of my skin

You have other choices to upkeep your health so if this doesn’t work for you, best to stop taking it than having to agonize over the breakouts it’s causing.

7. Destiny says

I haven’t tried this formula but I’m a fan of xiao yao wan (rambling at ease). Its also prescribed for menstrual disorders, menopause, cleansing the liver. It comes in tiny black balls, very convenient and no taste.

Interesting! Never come across that one…I googled and found it’s also something to help release stress and depression and that’s probably why the name is such. I’ll go take a look at the local medicinal hall.

I used to take this regularly. Though there are lots of brands in the market, I am still afraid of picking up ‘artificial’ ones. So the only brand that I can trust is from Eu Yan Sang .

Agree…such medication can be faked…in fact, I think there were recalls for some brands. Well, if not for the fact that my mom made me take this when I was younger, I doubt I’ll dare to try them now. I’m not too familiar with brands but I buy my stuff from Hock Hua and they’re a big chain here that is pretty reliable.

9. zhenling says

i take those from eu yan sang. treated by menstrual cramps. i dont like the taste but i still take it as it seems to give me an extra boost of energy as well

10. Lilaa says

Same story here. I had period problems at young age too and my mom forced me to take this stuff. I couldn’t stand the taste at all, so I’d make little crumbles out the stuff and swallow them, which was a BAD idea because I once nearly choked on them….After my “trauma” with this stuff, I never took it again.

But maybe I should because I’m 20, but still have period irregularities and bad cramps. :/

You might want to give it a try since you have experienced taking them. They’re not too bad now cos the pills are way smaller.

11. eve says

I started bai feng wan (from hock hua tonic, $40/6 boxes) slight over a year ago mainly to regulate period.

Wouldnt say it’s a miracle pill (tcm stuff requires patience), but yes, more regular periods, no cramps at all, fewer flashes and erm, ‘better’ flow. My monthly must have!

12. Na says

My mom recently suggested that I start taking them. I’m worried if it would give me acne. Any idea?

I can’t guarantee that…maybe it’ll be good for us to ask the medical hall for advice.

13. me says

i have this, but i dont know how to take it.
    do you eat all 50 small pills in one ball at the same time?
    how to take this stuff? thanks!

You swallow it like you would with pills. You don’t have to swallow all at once…swallow them in batches.

You’re supposed to take it about the same time…when I mean different batches I mean you swallow them bit by bit.

14. Michelle T says

I have just started taking this at the age of 44.
    OMG the changes to my overall health is amazing.
    I have five daughters, two that are at the age that they should be taking this. I will be making sure they do.
    It is easy to swallow and I can’t taste it when I swallow quickly.
    Good luck to all :-)

15. Pat says

My friend just suggested that I took this too since my periods are irregular. From my understanding you’re supposed to take this after your period stops. How many days are you supposed to take it then? The box comes in with 10 balls. If you’re supposed to take it twice a day, 5 days then? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

When I was consuming this regularly, I took it a few days after my menses. Usually, there are instructions on the box. This one says take one ball, once every 2 days.

• Sesame says

I’m not sure of the price for a box of 10 but I have this one with 3 balls and it cost around $9. You’re advised to take one every other day but I didn’t really take that regularly.

16. T T says

Yes, I just taken these all small balls….. I am the first time user because three of my friends strongly suggested me for my serious menstrual cramps. The Name on the orange colour box is “Pai Fong Wan(pill) and sole agent is Hua Tai Trading Company Pte Ltd 105 sims ave #07-13 chancerlodge complex, singapore 387429. The selling price for each i saw on the box is $6.50 and my friend bought for me to persuade to take. See how the result come out?

17. mariam says

please help me … I need to know about this properly …. yesterday I bought this product Bai Feng Wan for my period… and i ate the entire little ball with little pill … each ball as 6grams …
    I am confused… did i do something wrong…or do i take the small black pill not all together… do i have to take it one by one the smaller pills

• Sesame says

You should only be eating the pills inside…if that is so, you didn’t do anything wrong. Check the instructions.

18. Jac says

Hi Sesame! Thank you so much for sharing! After reading this blog, I wanna start baifenwan as well. Where can i buy reliable brand in Hong Kong or online?

i knew direction that 2 times daily but i want to know how many container i must use every month? do u know? can u tell me ? thanks ^^

• Sesame says

Personally, I think once or twice a month is quite sufficient but why don’t you check with the people at the medical hall?

20. GDub says

I just started these today. I freaked out after swallowing all of the little balls and then read on the box to “take 1 twice a day”. I thought I was supposed to take just one little pill twice a day. My accupuncturist is in Dallas, TX. I called and gave her a good laugh after thinking I had overdosed. “all of the pills in 1 ball 2 times a day”.

She also put me on ZhiXueBao and Shao Fu Zhu Yu Wan due to fibroids, HEAVY bleeding and flow issues. That along with a tea that looks a lot like tree bark – I’ve no idea which tree.

If you’re in the US (Texas) and are looking for someone who is truly remarkable, do a search for Dr Ping Ping.

• Sesame says

Haha…that’s funny but am glad you got the misunderstanding sort out. I can understand why you thought you misread.

21. Vera says

Hello,
    My Acupuncturist suggested I try the White Phoenix pills but not easy to find them in Europe. Do you know any respectable chinese companies that deliver internationally?
    Many thanks!

22. Emily says

Hi! I’m glad I came across this blog. Someone gave me this pill to help with fertility, with the instruction that I should cook the medicine with a whole chicken. Any input on this method of taking the med?

23. Alma says

Hi, can anyone help me. I have two bigs Myomas… Can the pai feng help me? Im desperate! .

• Sesame says

I took it for years and many women I know do without issues. But every woman is different so best to check with your doctor. If you’re pregnant, you should stop taking just to be safe.

24. AiLynW says

Thanks Sesame for the succint write up! You have indeed assured me of the consumption of this pill. I will start taking them today.
    Personally I think I might have taken them when I reached menarche. But I don’t recall ever continuing them. I am currently in my 30s and am trying (in vain) to conceive. I have no known gyneacological problem except for PMS symptoms and cramps on day 1+/- 2. My mother and some well meaning friends advised me to take the pills. I was skeptical but I did my research and I am going to try. I hope I get positive result soon 😉
    Thank you ladies who have write in and share your thoughts. They are inspiring and assuring!
    Will update :)

• Sesame says

I have no idea if this is good for conception but for general well-being, it’s good. But the thing is, do check the sources you purchase with all the recent issues of China-made products. I took them years ago and these scares were not heard of then.

Hi,

I’m still confused after reading all of this. My mother in law told me to take it during my period and switch to something else after my period. However, she told me to take only 12 pills per day and not the whole capsule of pills. I’m so confused? Can someone please clarify?

Am I take the whole capsule twice a day or just 12 pills a day?
    Salric last post is: Beauty Lunchbox Ideas: Make A Delish Lettuce Wrap

• Sesame says

You might want to check with the medical hall for a better idea. When I was taking it, I would take half the dosage before my period, and finish the rest after my period.

Hi, just wondering did you experience any side effects while taking the bai feng wan pills? I just started a week ago, have taken 2 bottles, and I have some rashes on my neck and abdomen, am not sure is it due to the pills. :(

• Sesame says

No, did not experience any side effects. If your rashes persist, you might want to stop taking the pills.

• vickybabe says

-hi is this safe for pregnant women?somebody telling me that it can cure beri beri for pregnant

27. randomness says

I guess this really helps in easing menstrual problems, particularly PMS. I had stop taking for a year and i have noticed that PMS symptoms are troubling me ever since i stopped ! Thanks for sharing!

28. Jill says

Hi Sesame,

I do have myomas and polyps. I am scheduled for a DNC next month. Can this pills help? Please reply.
    Thanks alot!