DIY Beauty: Matcha green tea facial mask

DIY Beauty: Matcha green tea facial mask

I love drinking Matcha powdered green tea! But little did I know that it makes such a wonderful facial mask! Absolutely gorgeous! And the best part is that this mask is easy to use because in addition to the Matcha powdered green tea, all you need is mineral or distilled water!

Easy-to-use homemade facial mask
I bought the Matcha powdered green tea from Meidi-Ya for $10. One teaspoon of the powder and half a teaspoon of water is all you need for the facial mask. It dissolves really quickly in the water to form a smooth watery paste and you can use this as a mask over your cleansed face for about 10 mins because it dries out really quickly.  After that, rinse your face with warm water and moisturize as per normal!

Experiment with different ingredients
I also tried it with my hydrosol and it works wonderfully. I’m thinking of adding it to yogurt for a richer face mask. In fact, the possibilities are endless and you can have fun experimenting it with honey, milk or even fruits!

DIY Beauty: Matcha green tea facial mask

Contains more vitamins and antioxidants
Matcha powdered green tea are better than regular green tea because they are derived from green tea plants with leaves that are shaded prior to picking. In addition, they retain more of the vitamins and antioxidants because their leaves are steamed and not exposed to oxygen.  And Matcha powdered green tea that has a vibrant emerald green color are considered to be of a good grade because oxidized matcha is said to have has a distinctive hay like smell and a dull brownish green colour.

Tremendous benefits for the skin
Matcha powdered green tea offers tremendous health benefits when consumed but they’re also good when used topically because of the antioxidants from the polyphenols.  Apart from soothing the skin, green tea powder offers anti-aging properties, and are often said to exert sun damage protection by quenching free radicals and reducing inflammation.   In case you’re wondering, Dextrin is a carbohydrate that is classified as a polysaccharide.   I found out through Cosmetic Cop dictionary that it is used as an adhesive when mixed with water and has water-binding properties for our skin.

Natural beauty inside out
I’m really loving my Matcha green tea powder now.  It makes a lovely drink which provides me with antioxidant effects inside out.  And as a homemade facial mask, it makes my skin feel soft and supple immediately after.  I think many of you are going to like this – unless of course you can’t stand the grassy smell of green tea.

vivawoman1 DIY Beauty: Matcha green tea facial mask © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

1. alixana says

Interesting post – I should give this a shot one day, since I love matcha! Other than soothing properties, what other noticeable differences have you observed in your skin after using the mask? Does it help to purify your skin? Tone down redness? Dry out zits? etc…

Not much difference immediately apart from softness and skin more supple. My skin did appear a tad brighter so maybe it’s the thorough cleansing. I don’t really have zits now nor do I have redness so also can’t comment on that area. But I noticed that this really tightened the skin around my neck when I used it. But it’s probably temporary.

thank u so much for the idea!!! i am currently already lazy to do the greentea spritz. lol. ok i wlll try this for sure. if we use lesser water but more powder, it means thicker paste right?

I tried using around the eyes. It’s weird on the eyelids when it dries up. Hydrosol is floral water. Check out my post here http://www.vivawoman.net/2008/08/26/organic-hydrosols-to-tone-and-hydrate/

I have been thinking of using green tea for mask, but it always slip my mind whenever I’m at the supermarket >.<

I'll be trying an oxygen mask tonight, can't wait!

I’m only trying it cos I bought it to drink! Usually, I only buy green tea bags.

Wow, oxygen mask? Sounds interesting! You’ll probably review on your blog right? I’ll check it out!

4. pf1123 says

Sesame, what hydrosol do you use?

I use the rose one. But not consistently. Doesn’t seem like there are any effects immediately.

I heard that its not good for skin to spray direct all over face. Not sure how true is that.

Currently, I’m using Helichrysum hydrosol. They’re more like toners, you won’t see that much effect but they’re good for balancing our skin. Helichrysum is good for healing scars – I rather like it but the smell isn’t that great. Rose water is more for uplifting. I used to use it in the mornings.

Not good to spray over face? Why? I haven’t heard that one…wouldn’t it be the same as applying with a cotton pad?

5. Ms. Blacklace says

Ohhh… I love matcha… I really really love to drink it with a bite of red bean mochi.

But I’ve ran out of it! Damn. Fair price hypermart used to sell matcha. But they’ve ran out of it too.

6. pf1123 says

I think it is said if we spray on our face, the evaporation will bring more moisture away from our face. Not sure if its true.

Oh…that’s interesting! Never come across such an info. But I wonder why? I don’t spray the hydrosol but I use spritz from Evian. Would it follow the same line of thought if this is true?

Wonderful natural beauty tip! I will definitely try this…but where can I get matcha green tea powder in the US? Or can I just open a tea bag and use the leaves?

8. knockingknees says

I have tried this as well with yogurt plus oat powder. I love using yogurt as a base for any kind of face mask. It makes your skin feel so smooth and moisturized afterwards! I have used it with matcha, ginseng power, oat powder, and other powdered mask and I always like the effect.

Yogurt was a favorite at one stage but it got to a point I couldn’t finish the yogurt up and it was such a waste.

But ginseng sounds great! My mom just told me to get it for my ailing memory and I was thinking maybe I might be able to try some on my skin. ;)

another great post ! I’d try the green tea water for washing my face twice, and it seems ok for me. And now this green tea powder mask ? hmm…I’ll give it a try but first I have to buy the green tea powder cos I drink only green tea bag yet to try green tea in powder form. Hope this green tea powder mask suit my sensitive skin.

The green tea powder should suit sensitive skin too but I hope it’ll work well for you if you do try it.

10. pf1123 says

Yup…read this in a Japanese skincare book. The author says that sprays like evian ones shouldn’t be used. Even on board flights.

I’m still wondering about it.

The info from this Japanese skincare book you mention seems to rather unconventional. I can’t say I agree but it does make one wonder…

11. Raelynn says

hmmm that’s strange though. i dont really feel that it’s true. recently i’ve been spraying evian before applying any skincare and my skin definately feels more moisturized and less oily after a week, as though that little moisture before skincare helps it to absorb the products better.

12. michelle says

oh dear, i went to meidiya after reading this post, but bought the wrong one! i got the matcha tea leaves green tea instead and it was definately impossible as a face mask as the leaves wouldn’t adhere to the face.

Oh…never mind…brew those for tea to drink or use as toner. Check for the powder in your next purchase.

13. Joanne says

Hi, do u apply those yogurt which can be bought from supermkt? I am actually very new to DIY remedies at home…so need ur advice:)

Just apply as per normal like face cream but thick…Don’t buy those that are flavored though.

14. Kelly says

I have difficulty washing off the green tea mask. I was horrified when I am struggling to wash it off. Luckily, I managed to wash it off with my cleanser for 2, 3 times.
    I find that my face looks so bright even though I find it hard to rinse it off.

15. Karen says

i love to apply green tea toner on my face, i also put a tbsp of apply cider vinegar.
    it is also a great DIY mask too,
    you can feel your skin tighten after applying.

I haven’t tried apple cider vinegar before. Must try using it someday. Thanks for the tip!

16. Teff says

Im having a green tea mask on my face as I am typing this :) This is my 1st attempt of using green tea powder as a face mask. Ive done the whole green tea toner/spritz thing tho :) Im attempting the green tea mask coz Ive broken out in huge zits of late and I cant take it anymore. I sure do hope that the green tea mask will help make my complexion smoother coz I have a huge party to attend tomorrow night and would love to see my BB cream and make-up glide smoothly on my face! LOL :) Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS ;)

I hope the green tea mask worked for you. It’s very soothing and very easy to apply. Happy New Year to you too!

17. reina says

had bought green tea in bags so I powdered it with a mortar and pestel then mixed it with honey. made a great mask. I apply it before I am going to shower, find something to do for ten to fiteen minutes then hop in the shower. It rinses right off!

18. Teff says

The green tea powder mask really worked!! :) I have incorporating it as my twice weekly regime :) My skin feels so much softer and smoother….am no longer breaking out in zits..only some minor whiteheads :)

I mix green tea powder with aloe vera gel to make a thick paste and apply on my face for 1/2 hour then rinse off with warm water….LOVING IT! ;)

Great that it’s working for you. I love this mask too but just that I haven’t had time to do it so often now.

19. Julie says

Hi,
    I was excited about this post of yours so I went out to the stores to get the exact same brand and packaging of matcha as yours (in Melbourne, Australia) but the only difference is the ingredients listed in english on the white label which says: powdered green tea (ryokucha, maccha), 1400, 965, 300.
    Do you think this may be due to a change in formula? I don’t know what those numbers mean, do you think it’s still safe for me to use as a facial mask? Thanks.

I have no idea what those numbers mean but I think it should be safe cos it reads like pure matcha green tea. If you’re uncomfortable, perhaps test it only on part of your face first?

20. HelloCleo says

I am going to try this mask. I’ve been drinking about 3 cups of Matcha tea per day for 1 month and I notice a huge difference in my face. It’s very clear, minor redness near edges of my nose.

I get my Matcha from a place called Booster Juice. They’re everywhere in Canada, not sure about the U.S. It comes in a tin jar. It’s good, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Wow, 3 cups of matcha tea? Do you find yourself slimming after drinking them? Because for awhile when I was drinking a bit of green tea, I was losing some weight.

21. deb says

really late but just did this mixed with honey and my skin came out really soft! I thought i had left some of it on or just left something on my skin but it was just that soft! love it…and thanks for the tips!

22. Vienna says

Hello there!
    First of all, thank you for these awesome tips!
    Just tried the yogurt and green tea, and it is just simply amazing!!!

Are the brand of tea powders matter if it isn’t ito en like yours?

1. […] Take 1/2 tsp. each kelp and clay.  Add a pinch of green tea (powdered leaves or matcha). Add 1/2-1 tsp. of herb-infused ACV or rose water to dry ingredients to reach desired consistency.  Add drops of essential oil (lavender, tea tree, etc.) and mix well.  Leave on for 10-20 minutes.  Rinse, tone, and moisturize skin.  [Here's a simple masque, too, made just from matcha green tea.] […]