Uniqlo: Japanese version of Gap?

Uniqlo 2009 Collection Uniqlo: Japanese version of Gap?

So I finally checked out Uniqlo at ION Orchard last week. I never saw the range when it was first launched at Tampines 1 because I rarely head to that area but I don’t think I missed much though. The designs are quite bland to me, and I left the store empty handed even though there was an opening promotion.

Mix and match for style factor
I was probably expecting more due to the hype and my sentiments were shared by my hairstylist too. In fact, he was even more critical about the collection and thought nothing of them at all.   I feel they’re a-okay but you’ll definitely need to bring up the style factor by mixing and matching like what you see in 2009 Tokyo Collection pictures here.  But if you’re just going to buy a top and wear it by itself, there’s really nothing eye catching.

Uniqlo 2009 Tokyo Collection Uniqlo: Japanese version of Gap?

At the current promotion, the price points are quite attractive for some pieces.   I read many raving about their jeans but unfortunately, this is not something in my wardrobe.  So let’s hope Wing Tai will bring in more interesting designs later on because I quite like the cuttings of some apparel plus I thought the quality of the tees aren’t too bad for prices under S$20.

Anyway, I definitely rate Uniqlo a notch above Gap and Banana Republic because at least some designs did get my attention.   So there is a high chance I’ll get something from the store in time to come!

vivawoman1 Uniqlo: Japanese version of Gap? © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

1. Raelynn says

comparing uniqlo with gap and banana republic, i would definately see myself getting the former because the price point is much more reasonable to me for their basics. it’s pricier than giordano and u2 basics but it carries a much bigger range.

Yes, I agree…was surprised at the price point. Pricier than Giordano and U2 but at least not so common.

Yeah, looks nice on their website! I wish they’ll bring in the limited designs here later.

I have been to Tampines 1 branch. But didn’t see anything I like… Think I still prefer the casual style from Topshop or Forever 21 better. Don’t really like Gap or Banana Republic.

Topshop and Forever 21 have more designs and styles whereas Uniqlo’s more plain. But at least it’s cheaper than Muji’s.

3. yl says

uniqlo is meant to be a basics kind of brand :) so in japan its given the same status as giordano in singapore. still, i feel the quality is decent for the price

4. J says

yep uniqlo’s cool; i love the fact that they do so many basic stuff that our high street are always lacking of. in terms of quality i’d say it’s even better than gap cos i own several pieces of their shirts and tops and they’re still in very good condition =]

all the same i think i prefer gap than uniqlo simply because they’re always trendier and have wider range. (i mean the ‘british’ gap cos their collections’ much more ‘neutral’ and muji-ish than the american version IMO.)

5. Rebecca says

I come from Japan, and also never really had a thing for Uniqlo… I thought it was just to plain… I mean some stuff’s ok, but I just get school socks and trousers that I need for a Gala or somthing like that… Good for Officewear though…

Haha…I think for us is, the pasture is greener on the other side. We have this thing for foreign imports. But the novelty will wear out after awhile.

6. Amy Loh says

oh i been there last Sunday & grab some basics Ts.. Feel tat it is reasonable for the price and quality. Basics to pair with a pair of minis good and casual, comfortable and afforadable.

i love uniqlo everywhere in the world because seems to me that they are always on sale! i’ve gotten scarves for HKD20, mitts for yuan30, polar fleece parka for GBP7.99…. and the list goes on. so far the quality’s good. i’m a happy camper. but yea, it’s a basics sort of retailer. it’s my fav next to H&M for basic stuff.

I would go for them in terms of basics compared to the other brands…their quality is decent for the money.

8. nora says

I’ve been to Tampines 1 branch. I like it but I haven’t buy anything yet. Some of the stuff from Gap are pretty basic too and the price are not cheap though some of it made in china! I still buy stuffs from Gap but I don’t mind buying from Uniqlo or even Cotton On.

I thought Cotton On was not bad in terms of price point but the material seems a tad thin to me. But I haven’t checked out recently so not sure if there’s been any updates. I can’t bring myself to buy Gap…I actually prefer Espirit.

I like getting camisoles and tank tops from Uniqlo for layering under my low-cut tops. They have more designs amd the lacy bits are not scratchy on the skin. Got hooked on Uniqlo when I visited the SOHO outlet in NY. It’s huge and has a basement full of bargain items. Discounted rates are really good, unlike the pathetic 10% or 20% we get in Singapore.

10. lyn says

love uniqlo stuff. Resonable pricing for good quaily products. Have never gotton anything from GAP and I dun think i will every pay that kind of money. Fashion is about knowing how to mix and match.

Besides the service there is great. :)