Share: what’s your favorite skin care ingredient?

favorite skin care ingredie Share: whats your favorite skin care ingredient?
I know many of you who frequent this blog do read your ingredient lists or at least try to. So today’s question pertain to that: do you have a favorite skin care ingredient?

Personal favorite
I have a few but the first on the list has to be L-Ascorbic Acid, known to be the only natural form of vitamin C in skin care products. There are other types of vitamin C in skin care products but L-Ascorbic Acid is a potent antioxidant proven to stimulate the synthesis of collagen, strengthens the capillaries and cell walls, as well as protect both beta-carotene and Vitamin E from oxidation. But while it easily absorbed by the skin and can stay for up to 72 hours, L-ascorbic acid can be irritating to those with sensitive skin. In addition, it is highly unstable and oxidize rapidly. Hence, it should be prepared and stored properly, otherwise Vitamin C in its oxidized form is of no benefit and actually promotes free radical formation causing damage to collagen and DNA.

Experience with the ingredient
I’ve tried making my own DIY homemade vitamin C serum with some measure of success but I don’t quite fancy the smell. And currently, my favorite product with L-Ascorbic Acid is Marie Veronique Organics Skin Lightening Vitamin C Supplement, which I use about twice a week with a serum.

Results with the ingredient
My experience with L-Ascorbic formulations that are stable in formulation is that they reduce some of my lighter pigmentation and acne marks, even out my skin tone, and improve my skin’s elasticity.  It is one that I can see almost immediate results upon application.

Other favorites
Other ingredients that I am fond of are Beta Glucan, Glucosamine, Niacinamide, Red Raspberry Oil, Sea Buckthorn Oil and Green Tea Extract.  I also like Zinc Oxide for my sun protection products.

What about you?  What would you consider as your holy grail ingredient in your skin care regime?

vivawoman1 Share: whats your favorite skin care ingredient? © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

1. Cara says

I’m a fan of AHA and love using things I can eat on my face haha (love the Yes to Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Carrots and Blueberries line!)

I see…it’s good as it does certain wonderful things to the skin but I would only use products with AHA like once or twice a week. My skin is thin and slightly sensitive.

2. Raelynn says

i have read articles that state that oxidised l-ascorbic acid which is dehydroascorbic acid, can actually be reduced back into ascorbate by virtue of Glutathione and other thiols. glutathione is synthesized in our body by amino acids.

So by the sound of this, it’s not too bad after all? But I would rather play it safe with this ingredient. Have come across gals who said their skin worsened using L-Ascorbic, which they suspect to have oxidized.

3. Anita says

Like Cara I really fancy AHA in my skincare products. I also become a big supporter of Apple Cider Vinegar over the time. Occatine has a line with ACV :)

4. sesame says

Shared on FB by Poovan: “Tamanu oil! If you have a dry skin this is your answer.”

Shared on Twitter by Sophiedoodle: ” right now it’s mandelic acid. Before, it was hyaluronic acid. haha :)”

5. diane says

your post made me think! I have favorite products but no particular favorite ingredient! :)

Force ranking – avocado oil will top my list. It’s so versatile I use it for my face, neck, body and scalp! :)

I have not used avocado oil on its own…always have the impression that it’ll be too rich for my skin. :razz:

I love acerola line from DHC (it has vitamin C) and it is on sale right now.

I also enjoy rose water as toner, green tea, and aloe vera extract…I find these to be very soothing for my sensitive skin.

Rose water smells wonderful! I like green tea extract and definitely don’t mind aloe vera.

7. Cristina says

I think I am hooked in gluconolactone (PHA) for life! My skin tolerates this way better than the AHAs and BHAs. This works as a chemical exfoliator, has antioxidant properties and may provide UV protection (“Gluconolactone provided up to 50% protection against UV radiation and UV radiation-induced elastin promotor activation.” Source: truthinaging.com)

I love shea butter and squalene in moisturizers!

Never tried L-ascorbic acid, but it’s on my list on the things to try.

Oh, don’t think I’ve ever tried gluconolactone. Interesting to know it exfoliates and yet provide UV protection.

8. 880093 says

Seabuckthorn oil is a becoming a favorite of mine… I’ve been trying this cream called seabuckthorn cream from calia, and oh gosh, the results have been great.

9. coco says

I also used seabuckhorn oil..not crazy about the smell but I heard taking it orally does wonders..high omega content

Oh…have never really thought about ingesting this oil….but I’ve seen those for oral consumption.

I love L-ascorbic acid also, but I do worry about oxidation and I have also heard that it can actually damage your skin at that point. Two ingredients that I really love right now are Rosehip seed oil and Argan oil.

Yes, what you mentioned about L-Ascorbic acid is true…that’s why we need to be careful using those of stable formulation. Oh rosehip oil and argan oil are nice. I love seabuckthorn oil too.

11. dzidzia says

emu oil,aloe plant,vit e ,jojoba oil ,shea butter,olive oil,coconut oil,vit c (just mix vit c powder with water ).
    I would like to try retin A but I am not sure what % should I buy ,and what brand is the best.Thanks for any suggestion on that .

12. dzidzia says

Oxidation with vit c ?So i just mix 1 tsp vit c powder with 4 ounces of water pour to dark glass container and refrigerate .Once a day I use on the cotton pad and dab in my face and body is this the correct technic to use vit C??

• Sesame says

It can be used the way you describe no problem but I’m not too sure if the percentage of vitamin C you are using. And yes, vitamin C oxidizes pretty quickly even in a product.