Are you into cheongsam during Chinese New Year?

cheongsums2 Are you into cheongsam during Chinese New Year?

Happy Chinese New Year & a sweet Valentine’s Day! I had a terrible throbbing headache in the middle of last night and was afraid I had to stay home today. Luckily, I’m feeling better now after popping some pills and good thing, my visiting don’t start till later in the day.

I’m visiting my mom today, and feeling quite excited to see my side of the family because I’ve always missed them as I usually head back on the second day.  Speaking of gathering, I expect to see at least one of my sister-in-laws in her cheongsam because she always wear it during the Chinese New Year.

I’ve never worn a qipao although recently I contemplated getting a top because I saw a colleague in it. These that I found on Tong Tong Friendship Store looks quirky enough to fit my taste. But the dresses are way prettier aren’t they?

Actually, the last time I posted about buying cheongsam or qipao in Singapore, I had comments that a cheongsam looks elegant but can age a lady. However, I think a lady can get away with the age issues with these designs. Some of them are not so dressy and can be worn on casual occasions.

The reason why I’ve never considered wearing a cheongsam dress is because I always think I don’t good in them with my big hips. But now that I’m much slimmer, I wonder. Perhaps I should give them a try someday. So are you into cheongsam or qipao this Chinese New Year?

vivawoman1 Are you into cheongsam during Chinese New Year? © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

I actually have a couple of cheongsams at home. haha.

I have 2 modern ones, with lace and skin-baring portions, that only go to hip length, so I must wear a short underneath.

I have another knee length one that I bought for a dinner too.

I do like to wear them, but am some times weary of the stares.

With your height and figure, I imagine you’ll look good in them. I think the stares are more ogling…hee…

2. kiwi says

I find qipaos and cheongsams very pretty! But I don’t own one because it’s too expensive to own a nice piece. (and i can’t tell the difference between a qipao and a cheongsam).

Happy Chinese New Year to you! :D

They’re the same I believe…cheongsam is derived from the Shanghainese usage while qipao was later used by the tailors in Hong Kong.

Yea, I thought about getting one of those to wear for my wedding party. Mom’s traditional wedding garments wore beautiful on her. But, like you, I didn’t get one because I didn’t think it would look good on me; my cheeks/face too round for the high neck line and then bare arms.

Haha I read your makeover comment about wanting to look punkish/disheveled. I think this was my style throughout college then it carried over to vintage/Gothic/thrift store wears.

From your pictures, I don’t find your face too round…perhaps it’s more of a style preference.

I like cheongsams but it is also true that a cheongsam may sometimes age the wearer. So, I always pair my cheongsam top (and even short cheongsam dress)with a pair of good jeans. Seems like this style works for me because I get quite a few compliments when I wear like this. ;)

Oh cheongsam tops with jeans should be very hip. I can’t wear jeans unfortunately. Those definitely don’t look good on me.

5. stella says

gongxi facai!

o i looove cheongsams and i’ve a few! been wearing them last few cnys but decided to wear something else this year. i think they’re elegant and as a chinese, i love wearing something that reflects my cultural heritage! plus it’s flattering on the figure and (can always get a looser cut if you’re rounder but i think fuller women can still look good in them!)

i remember i used to have a teacher who wore a cheongsam everyday to class and even tho she was well into her 60s then, we were always in awe of her elegance – cheongsams do force you to keep a good posture!

only gripe i have is how they’re cut very close to the hips… i prefer fuller skirts myself for comfort~~

Your suggestion of getting a looser cut is a good idea. Will check them out. Otherwise, can also get some good tailor to make one using interesting fabric eh?

This is my second comment to vivawoman.net :). I prefer sexy looking cheongsam but ought to me careful choosing the design so as not to make me look older *wink*. I’m not wearing one today tho.

I think the choice of prints and fabrics might make a difference. If the designs are traditional, then chances are, one can look older.