Can you smear cooking oil on your face and body?

culinary vs cosmetic oil Can you smear cooking oil on your face and body?

I was not kidding when I said I shop at the supermarket for my beauty needs. Like recently, I was itching to buy some interesting cooking oils I spotted at Finest; on the shelves were avocado oil, macademia oil, grapeseed oil, sunflower oil, sweet almond oil and rice bran oil. I’ve only used extra virgin olive oil at home but these other oils would make good skin oils. But the question is, can I use these food grade oils on my skin? I know some of you have the same question and I’ll attempt to answer this today.

Difference maybe subtle
Based on information I’ve read, the difference between food grade and cosmetic grade oil is very subtle and sometimes, the only difference is the production process. A vegetable oil that is intended for food processing will become a cosmetic grade material if used in a non-food processing facility because food processors must comply with food handling permits, as well as inspections by the local health department. I understand that some oils used in skin care products are refined a little further to remove the characteristic odor. Take argan oil for example:

There are two main types of argan oil – cosmetic and culinary. Cosmetic oil is made from the unroasted argan kernels; culinary argan oil is made from the roasted argan kernels. Roasting the kernels changes the scent of the oil and gives culinary argan oil a nutty scent and flavor. Apart from the scent, there isn’t much difference between the two types of argan oil, although it’s better to use the cosmetic argan oil for your skin (it can also be used on hair and nails too).
(source)

It appears that at the production of the cosmetic argan oil, the seeds are unroasted and the oil is hence, more concentrated. So you can say that cosmetic grade is better for our skin in this case. However, it may not be the case for other types of oils as I’ve learnt that in certain cases, the worst fruit is used to make oil for cosmetics.

graoeseed oil Can you smear cooking oil on your face and body?

Cooking and cosmetic application
But I believe that those culinary oil that are are marked as organic, cold or expeller pressed can be used on our skin as well. For example, it is said that “in addition to being a noteworthy cooking oil, cold pressed camellia oil is a nutritive cosmeceutical oil that is said to be the ancient beauty secret of the geishas. (source)

Cosmetic grade cannot be used for cooking
And obviously, while the difference between the two grades of oils maybe subtle, you can never use cosmetic grade oils for cooking. The reason is some cosmetic oils are stabilized with chemicals which could be harmful to consume. Even if they are 100% pure, I would not recommend as they are not produced according to requirements for food safety.

My experience
Personally, I’ve used pure extra virgin olive oil meant for cooking on my skin. Other than that, I’ve not tried using other types of cooking oil. I am still contemplating if I should get some of the interesting culinary oils for my body because they are obviously, cheaper than cosmetic grade oils. I think the question is more like – do I want to? Well, I am willing to use such culinary oils on my body but am less willing to try them on my face.

What is your experience?
What about you? Do you think it’s safe to use cooking oil on our skin? What’s your take and experience on that?

vivawoman1 Can you smear cooking oil on your face and body? © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

1. Carrie says

I have been and am still using extra virgin olive oil on my skin for facial scrub (with brown sugar) and to remove make up. They are EXCELLENT for removing eye make-up, but you just need to make sure you wash off the oily residue too. I have also read a lot of benefits in using 100% cold-pressed grapeseed oil on our skin (it’s also the most recommended cooking oil due to its high smoking point), so will be looking forward to that after I’ve used my extra virgin olive oil. It is also cheaper than olive oil too here in NZ!! :D

I don’t like it as a makeup remover…too oily. But I like it in all my DIY oil recipes for body, hands and nails. Maybe you can check out what Wendy said on my Facebook page regarding using culinary oil for skin.

i have grapeseed oil as my base oil to mix with certain essential oils for massage. come to think about it, it could even be the culinary grade of oil for all i know, since i bought it in 200ml and it wasn’t too pricey
    xin last post is: Dry Combination Skin & Oily Skin Review: Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Oil-Free Cleanser, Toner & Gel Cream

I’ve come across some oils sold as pure oil and can be used for both. Maybe the grapeseed oil you bought is such?

3. Nita says

I’ve been using culinary grade grapeseed oil for 2 months. So far my skin is okay and don’t show any sign of breakout.

4. Catherine says

Thank you for writing this; I’ve been wondering about it for a while. I want to use Extra Virgin Olive Oil as part of a homemade body oil I’m thinking of mixing up but I was never sure if it was OK. I can also get hold of grapeseed oil but only food grade. Judging by what you say and people’s comments I guess there isn’t much difference between food and cosmetic grade so it should be OK :)

5. Raelynn says

i saw this SoGo! coldpressed grapeseed oil at the supermarket… i would use that on my face if it’s organic as well.

6. Ami says

What a coincidence, just yesterday I tried a facial massage with olive oil! Have you ever tried Rice Bran oil before? It has squalene which is great for collagen production. :)

I used to use DHC Olive Virgin Oil. The company claims that it is organic, and they purify it so that it can be applied to the face and not clog pores. That’s as close as I’ve gotten to putting EVOO on my face. I have heard of using jojoba oil to remove eye makeup, but I have not tried it yet. It’s supposed to double as an eye moisturizer, so you save on eye cream.
    Chris last post is: EOTD: MAC Dark Diversion Look #2

DHC’s Olive Virgin Oil uses other ingredients in the formulation so technically, it isn’t that pure. I’ve tried the product and it’s okay. If you use pure oil, they do not emulsify and so the process is different from using something like DHC’s.

• maxK says

FYI, Paul Begoun reviewed the DHC olive oil and mentioned “if you wanna spend that much money on this product, you’d better end up with a barrel of culinary extra virgin oil for being economic.”
        I used the product as well, it is good and quite thicker than other cosmetic oils that I tried before but the price is really unreasonable. Your post really makes me think of getting a fine culinary oil for my face!

For face, I would really suggest getting cosmetic grade. It is not that more expensive. The reason is it’s hard to pick out which culinary oil is well processed. I would keep culinary oil to my body.

I wouldn’t mind using the cooking grade oils to DIY my own oil cleanser (adding an emulsifier to the mixture). Will try it when I run out of my current DIY oil cleanser mix.
    Audris last post is: Reminder: Blog Giveaway – ENTIRE range of Madre Labs Bath, Body and Haircare!

9. Sonum says

For cooking I switched from Olive oil to grape seed oil after hearing that its high on anti oxidants :) and easier to digest. I never use oil on my face because of the oily skin….but definetly used both the oils for my body in winters.

10. babysaffron says

Hi….Never used oil in either face nor body…. Is it ok for acne prone skin? And also….will the oil in body or face leaves skin oily or sticky? i lived in a humid place….
    thanks.

It depends on the type of oil. Grapeseed oil is not oily but the one I used was cosmetic grade…not so sure of the food grade. Actually EVOO is not too oily; I use it every day on my hands and it absorbs very quickly.

I’m using coconut oil and olive oil on my face. At some point I also used avocado oil. All of them works fine for me. So, my main concern isn’t whether cooking oil can be used on my face, but whether it can be applied on eyes. As using oil seems to be the only way to stop (not reduce) my eye wrinkles, I can’t do without it. Should I use cosmetic grade oil on my eyes instead? At the moment, I am using a mixture of both in my beauty routine.
    Amanda last post is: My Biggest Beauty Mistake Might Be a Blessing in Disguise

Amanda: my concern is that we may not really know how to pick the correct food grade oil for our skin and end up with something that may not have so much nutrients. So I would still advice using cosmetic grade on your face. But say if you have a bottle of food grade oil and it’s organic and cold pressed, give it a try and see if it works for you. I was told that those in dark bottles are better. Btw, is coconut oil oily and does it smell? I’ve read so much benefits on it but not really used it before on its own.

• says

I only pick the best of its kind when it comes to using oil on my skin. Organic, cold-pressed, and extra virgin. Sometimes, I may not have all three of them, but I make it a point that they are the best I can find on the shelves. On to coconut oil, I have only used a few oils in my beauty routine. So I don’t have many to compare to. In my opinion, coconut oil isn’t as oily as people think. At least, I only experienced a mild-scale breakout at the very beginning. Mine has a nice coconut smell :)
        Amanda last post is: Dealing and Living With Rosacea

I know what you mean…it’s very hard to stock up too many oils considering the cost plus the fact that they’ll expire. At one point, I had a couple and because I didn”t use them quickly enough, they went rancid. I might give coconut oil a try…use it as a body oil cos I’ve been meaning to try it. I’ll look at the cooking oil section and see if they have smaller bottles. :razz:

I never knew that you could do this. It doesn’t really appeal to me though. For now just sticking to creams!
    Sylvia last post is: How do you define STYLE?

Oil does need some getting used to but for most of us who have tried, some of us get hooked on them. :razz:

I think cooking grade oils can be used but I would say that I would use them for massage or treatment purposes than for regular nightly usage …for that I would buy regular facial oil…cooking oils are I feel a little heavy for skin too and before I read the argan oil piece, I thought cooking oils were better than cosmetic grade oils as they undergo less processing!!! now I know, it doesn’t hold true for all….
    Swati last post is: Unvieling the new trailer of Yardley of London featuring Katrina Kaif !!!

Yes, I agree with you. I’m more willing to use cooking oil on my body than face. There are probably some oils that are good enough but just that, we can’t be sure. So I’ll rather use cosmetic grade for my face especially if the oil is for daily use.

14. Ruby says

I’m running out of my Olivella moisturizer oil, and am thinking of using the EVOO for my face. I’m really torn here!
    As I read, the ingredients contained olive oil, lavender oil, orange oil and tocopheryl acetate or vitamin E. I think these two oils was added not only for their good effects for the skin but also for neutralizing the smell of virgin olive oil. So I’m thinking of mixing the EVOO cooking oil with some lavender essential oil and one capsule of vitamin E and using that oil for my face. But I’m wonder if those ads on the bottle of the EVOO are telling the truth about the oil ingredients?

Hard to say but I think food grade oil, depending on where they come from, might be subject to more stringent regulations than cosmetic oils. I understand that it’s best to use those contained in dark bottles as it means they still have the nutrients. Maybe you should just try based on a small batch.

• Ruby says

I’ve just read your entry about products contain citrus peel oils, and it completely changes my view *sigh* I’ve always thought citrus oils are good for face:( I’m still thinking about using culinary EVOO for my face, but I do think I should try it on a small area before spread my face with that oil. I’m convinced that in the old time when there were no cosmetic oils, those women surely must use whatever they had on hands, which were cooking oil, especially olive oil.
        But what’s your opinion about using the oils contain in soft capsules? Such as Vitamin E capsules and Rosehip oil capsule? Are these oils safe? Because I smell the oil inside a Vitamin E capsule, and it smells weird…

I suppose those in capsules are those vitamin capsules? I’ve tried those on my face and they work fine. In fact, EPO works great for me in curbing inflammation caused by acne. I also use them in my DIY concoctions.

I tried using extra virgin olive oil on my body instead of my usual body oil. I was alright, but I probably wouldn’t do that again :D
    I use coconut oil as a makeup remover — cheap and gets the job done.

16. Chelsea says

I tried EVOO on my face before, and broke out (I don’t even have oily skin), but I like using it on my body. My favorite face oil to wash/moisturize with is jojoba oil, and even use it in my hair sometimes (not sure whether this oil is even used in cooking?). Other than that, the only one I tried on my face was organic hemp seed oil mixed with sugar for a face scrub. It worked great!

Oh EVOO broked you out? That’s a pity…I guess it really depends on skin type or maybe even the quality of the oil. Like I can’t use Jojoba oil or maybe I should say I don’t like it much cos it’s oily. I’ve never tried hemp seed oil alone though…maybe one day I should get all the popular oils to try…just to know. :razz:

17. Lucia says

I’ve been using sweet almond oil (Aura Cacia) on my face for almost a month now. I apply it only at night before going to bed. I don’t use it during the day, i’m afraid it would make my face oilier/greasier. So far, it has not broken me out (my skin is very sensitive) which is great and I don’t wake up with a greasy face! I’ve also heard great things about grapeseed oil and really wanted to try it but couldn’t find cosmetic grade ones. So i got the Sadaf pure grapeseed oil which is for cooking. I’m still afraid to use this on my face though, so I only apply it around my eye area.

If the oil is packaged in a dark glass bottle and if it is organic and cold pressed, then it might be good enough for the skin. Otherwise, I’ll prefer to keep it for the body and use cosmetic grade oil for the face.

• Lucia says

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, my GSO is in a clear glass bottle and it says Pure, 100% “natural” –NOT organic! :( I guess i better stick with my sweet almond oil for now until I find a good-for-the-face grapessed oil. :)

I suppose it’s ok to keep it for the hands or body but if you are creating something for the face, best to rely on cosmetic grade.

18. composer says

I use both cosmetic and food grade oils on my face, and generally choose food grade if those are available. It’s cheaper :) and I also get to use a bigger variety because I can always use them for cooking in addition to on the face.

So far I’ve had success with sesame oil (but wow it smells), olive oil, coconut oil and even canola oil. One caveat though is that I think my skin just likes oil – I’ve also used jojoba, sweet almond, castor, grapeseed, sea buckthorn, broccoli seed, shea butter … you get the idea. :)

You’ve used a lot of oils so I imagine you have plenty at home! I am thinking of getting a bottle of sweet almond oil for cooking for my body but it’s in transparent bottle and quite ex.

I’m using extra virgin coconut oil as body mostuirizer. I didn’t tried it on my face, as I have my skin creams for it. But as my body skin is very dry, the coconut oil is amazing. Just need one little drop for each part: knees, feet, legs. The absortion is very fast and has a nice scent of coconut.
    Heglaé last post is: Multitasker Primer da Erzulie Cosmetics

Oh my, I love the apricot kernel oil that I’m using but my body and face loves it even more. I’ll never, ever, ever again buy normal moisturiser.

Give it a try. Start with what’s in your kitchen cupboard/pantry and see whether your body likes it. My legs, arms and hands used to be super dry but have become super soft and super moisturised after only two or three nights of slathering on some oil ;)

I’ve been using the same oil to clean my face at night and am hoping it’s going to keep the wrinkles far, far, far away from my face.

I don’t see apricot kernel oil here but I’ll give some of the others a try soon. Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience using the oil. :)

Hi! I’m a guy but I use extra virgin olive oil for my face as a massage oil every night. I didn’t have any breakouts and my skin became more radiant. I massage it using my lower palms then gently pat and slap it. It’s maybe oily but the skin absorbs it really quickly. Also I put vit e oil on it as well as drops of tea tree oil. I can say it’s good that you massage your face with it to prevent aging and wrinkles and by doing so, you help your skin absorb all the goodness of olive oil.

22. kamal says

Culinary or Cosmetic Argan oil Grades are pretty much the same & can be used 4 both Purposes !
    Perhaps other kinds of oils , you might need to Follow a pharmacist Advice & instructions !
    Thanks for reading !

I recently went to the GNC vitamin store to find Grapeseed Oil and I was amazed that they had all the oils I needed. Very happy with buying all the different oils…cost was inexpensive and they had cosmedic grade for sensitive skin. There is a “NOW” cosmetic oil line that is fabulous. I bought Grapeseed, Almond, Apricot, Avocado, Jojoba Oil, and Coconut Oil at Trader Joes. All of which I tried on my face, hands, and body. I GO TO A HEALTH SPA AND I USE ANY ONE OR ALL THE OILS ALL OVER MY FACE, BODY, HAIR …. I go into the dry sauna and the wet sauna and my hair and skin is fabulous. I am not going back to creams or lotions because I am 100% satisfied with the “oil” using results. Alpina

• Sesame says

Oh there is a line of cosmetic grade oil at GNC? In Singapore? I would be keen to know how much they sell them.

Feel free to ask me any questions and I’ll be happy to answer your questions. I bought Argan oil for my hair, I applied a few drops around my eyes and the next morning, I had little bumps forming. I’m not sure if there is an Argan specifically for the face. Do you have any other suggestions primarily to use around the eye area? Alpina

25. nahsiep says

Hi Sesame

Just chanced upon this post… I’ve been using food-grade Grapeseed Oil on my tummy for a few months now. I started using it to prevent stretch marks as I’m pregnant and I have not seen any marks formed so far (I’m 5.5 months in). I’m also using the oil to massage my face when I do my oil cleansing routine. I bought the oil at Vom Fass, a unique concept store with two branches–one at MBS, one at ION–that sells quality oils, liqueurs and the like. Most of their products are contained in barrels. You buy an empty bottle in the size you want and pick the product you’re looking for. They will bottle the product on the spot for you. The Grapeseed Oil I bought is food-grade and it was recommended to me by the Austrian Manager at MBS who by the way is extremely knowledgeable, because of the high level of vitamin E. It’s meant to be super for preventing stretch marks. Before I eventually used it on my face, I also called Vom Fass to ask whether it would be ok. The manager told me that food-grade oils are of a higher quality than cosmetic grade oils because food-grade oils are meant to be ingested directly into the body, hence higher processing standards are needed. I have not had any allergies or spots so far from using the oil on my face. In fact, my blackheads are much less obvious after I do oil cleansing with this oil… like what you mentioned in one or two of your posts… I use it on my mum and husband when doing facial massages as well. They both love it.

If you have not checked out Vom Fass, you might be keen to drop by to have a look…

26. YX says

Hi Sesame,

I happened to stumble upon your blog while searching for natural plant oils & argan oil for my DIY hair oil concoction. TBH, personally after using both cosmetic & food grade oils for skin/hair applications, I find that food grade oils are of better price (cheaper in fact) & versatility. I mean, food grade oils are produced under stricter quality control as they’re products to be ingested. If it’s good & safe enough for the tummy, into the digestive system & bloodstream, why not the skin? But you can’t say the same for cosmetic grade oils which are usually made from lower grades of oil sources (seeds, nuts, crop that are not good enough to pass for human consumption) and of course, cannot be used for food applications, thus making it lack in versatility, with a more hefty price tag than food grade oils. It depends on one’s choice though, whether to pick food or cosmetic grade oils for external applications, though I’d rather pick up a 1-L bottle of oil from the cooking oil isle that can be use for both cooking & skincare/haircare, than a 200 ml bottle of oil from the cosmetic shelve, both costing the same price, if you get my gist. :)

• Sesame says

Interesting points! I was under the same impression but someone in the beauty industry gave me a different view so I’m still a bit confused. But in any case, I don’t mind using food grade oil for my body for sure. I think if the oil is cold pressed, they should be pretty good.

• YX says

Hi Sesame,

Thx for the reply though it had been sometime after I last commented. May I know what was the ‘insight’ from the beauty industry about oils? Just curious to know.
        I use food grade grapeseed oil from NTUC & food grade cocoa butter from Phoon Huat to make my own DIY massage bars and hair oils, and use grapeseed oil itself as a lip moisturiser. They work great! & any leftover grapeseed oil and cocoa butter can be used for cooking and dessert-making! Still loving the economical, versatility and safe to consume points of culinary oils! :)
        Anyway, I believe beauty industries will try to speak good of cosmetic grade oils for 1) it’s one of the products/ingredients that keep the beauty industry moving, 2) the profit margin is very high compared to culinary oils. I mean, after manufacturers buy non-food grade seeds/nuts/plant parts for lower price than food0grade ones, to extract non-food grade oil from there, add in a few chemical stabilisers, then bottle themto sell for a few folds more than culinary oils. Even if they used the same food grade oils to manufacture into cosmetic oils, the consumer will be paying for more than what is necessary for it. Kind of a rip-off. So I’ll still gladly stick to culinary oils even for skincare when I need.

• Sesame says

It’s been awhile so I can’t remember specifically but only recall that this person mentioned that food oils are not too great for the skin because it doesn’t have as much nutrients. I haven’t looked into it so am not too sure.

I am using NOW oils and don’t think they’re unrefined nor cold pressed but they work well. So it really depends how far you want to venture. I am inclined to agree with your views that cosmetic grade oils might be overhyped.

27. Ellie says

I used Organic Cold-pressed Grapeseed Oil for my skin! Like nahsiep, I used it for my OCM regime too. But I do slather Grapeseed oil before my moisturizer, and over my eyes too. By far, it doesn’t seem to clogged my pores nor formed any millia seeds, and I find it heals open wounds nicely too (when I extract a pimple or hard plug). It also does help fine lines below my eyes. But I only use them during my night regime, coz’ it’s a little too oily for day use, IMO.

Hence, I also believe food-grade oils are good enough. I’m a little more conservative so I bought the organic ones, just in case. And I also read that it would be best to be “cold-pressed” if to be used on the skin.

—–
    Many Many Thanks for your site! Ever since I’ve tried some of your home-made facials, it helped my skin alot! In fact, it worked really well with my own set of commercial products! Sort of like speed-up the process! Most importantly, it’s economical! I’ve saved a bundle now! Thank you!!

• Sesame says

Hi Ellie, I’m glad that some of my information has helped you. :)

I love grapeseed oil…it was the first oil I tried and it helped with my pores. It’s not oily and absorbs quickly. Love.

28. Thelma says

Hi Sesame…I have tried the Grapeseed oil as well the Jojoba oil, Coconut oil. I find them all a bit greasy. I do lke the Argan oil though..Doesn’t feel greasy at all <3

• Sesame says

That’s great…I suppose you need to experiment to find something that works for you. I find Jojoba rather oil for me. The other three works well for me.

29. Mindtalks says

Hi,
    I am finding this site very helpful. Hope you guys would help me ward off my doubts…I am from Dublin, Ireland. I bought Monini Grapeseed oil for 5 Euros. from the grocery which has labelled for cooking and grilling. It seems to be a refined oil. I wanted to know if this very Grapeseed oil can be used on face and hair. My hair has been facing lots of problems of late. Kindly help:)

By the way cold pressed Jojoba oil has gone in a long way in helping my skin clear of its acne problems and breakouts. Bought Jojoba and Avocado cold pressed virgin oil from Amazon.
    Cheers!!

• Sesame says

Is it cold pressed? The quality would be better but based on experience, I think even the normal ones like the one you mentioned can help somewhat.

30. Renee says

I seriously believe that if its safe for eating it is safe for putting on your skin. If you cannot eat it, then don’t put it on your skin. Your skin is the largest organ of your body and believe it or not, what gets absorbed by the skin, bypasses the liver unfiltered going right into your blood stream. Not really good. It makes one think twice what they are putting on their skin.
    It is safe to use food grade oils around the eyes. Safer than toxic creams. I remove eye makeup with organic extra Virgin cold pressed coconut oil miked with organic extra virgin cold pressed sesame oil. If you have oily skin, use coconut oil. It will prevent break outs and leaves skin beautiful.

• Sesame says

I agree. I’ve been using some of them and they work well. I also like them better than using chemical laden cream.

31. Diana says

I have been using organic cooking grade oils on my face for about 6 months now and my skin has never been better. Although for the first few months I had breakouts….guess I was detoxing. I have had success with EVOO, Grapeseed Oil, Almond Oil and Jojoba. I’m going to try Sunflower. Jojoba is pricey so I lean towards the others. I have combo skin prone to breakouts (I’m 50 yrs old, not many wrinkles). I use the oil for cleansing and moisturizing. They work great. My 15 year old daugther had bad acne and then I put her on a regime and her skin cleared up.

• Sesame says

Glad the oils is working well for you and you daughter. Honestly, I think they’re the best. My current faves are sweet almond oil, argan and avacado.

32. Wei Dee says

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH FOR THE ARTICLE AND COMMENTS!!!!
    I’m sorry to be shouting, but the info I got here surpasses everything I have been reading from other websites!!!
    I just started using organic jojoba oil for my ubër sensitive, acne prone skin, after using Manuka honey as a cleanser. It has worked so far… At least I’m into my third week. I will try out grape seed oil from NTUC..

• Sesame says

Try to use cosmetic grade if you can for better skin benefits. Using cooking oil probably won’t give you too much problems but it may not benefit as much either.

Nice post! I usually just use culinary olive oil and coconut oil for my skin, but for the other oils, I order cosmetic grade ones. Don’t know why actually… I guess here in the Netherlands culinary oils available in supermarkets have been processed a lot..
    I’ve linked to this post from my blog by the way, hope you’re okay with that!

• Sesame says

Sure! Thanks for the link. And like you, I prefer cosmetic grade of oil for my skin (especially my face) too.

34. Alexis Renee says

I started using (culinary) organic coconut oil about 6 months ago. I use it on my face, body & hair and it has done miracles! Just recently I purchased “roasted” almond oil, culinary oil as well and I haven’t had any problems with it. I have very itchy skin and it leaves my skin flake free & less itching. Also I use it on my face and hair and so far so good

35. yaya says

thanks so much for your post.for me, i used coconut oil for my skin for two months, and it was good for me. I have never thought about the difference between cooking oils and cosmetic grade’s oils, until i saw the same coconut oil was placed both in cooking oil shelve and near the jojoba oil that cosmetic section. and then i browsed on the internet (some in English, some in Chinese). i found that, the most important things of a good oil are : cold pressed, unrefined, extra virgin and organic. it’s no doubt that extra virgin should be the top priority, to make sure it;s pure enough. and cold pressed which means its nutrition and scent wont be affected by high-temperature extraction. (some cooking oils like sesame oil, will be expelled after heating the sesame to enhance the flavor of sesame ), and unrefined means no chemicals or artificial ingredients added. choosing organic is for the your own good and also for the world. so, i think if u choose oils by those criteria, u can make sure you get the whole and pure nutrition from the oil, no matter for eating or applying on face. and you may also google the characteristics of different oils to get to know what cooking oil is for skin. by the way, i am now using olive oil to be my cleanser (yes, olive oil in cooking oil section), and going to try sunflower seed oil as well:) hope this message can help!!

36. Cathy says

Coconut oil! Wonderful for your skin and it can be used in lipsticks, deodorants and creme eye shadows!