Share: would you consider permanent makeup?

permanent makeup Share: would you consider permanent makeup?

Do you use makeup regularly? It’s pretty time consuming isn’t it? I mean, even the most basic makeup needs at least 5 minutes of your time. So wouldn’t it nice if you don’t have to apply makeup and still look great the moment you wake up from your bed? Well, this is actually possible if you’ve got permanent makeup on. Yes, makeup that you cannot wash off with just cleanser and water. Just imagine the amount of time you can save on applying and removing makeup to your eyebrow, eyeliner and lipstick!

In fact, we have quite a number of salons offering eyebrow embroidery in Singapore. I have friends who have gone for such services and seem to be satisfied with the outcome because they claim that they don’t have to draw their eyebrows every day! Other than eyebrow, permanent makeup usually consist of eyeliner and lip color and according to the wiki, is defined as a cosmetic technique which employs tattoos as a means of producing designs that resemble makeup to the skin of the face, lips, and eyelids. Such tattoos are irreversible and I know for a fact that those who have taken up eyebrow embroidery need to have them touched up regularly.

I have never considered permanent makeup although I have to admit that I find the idea pretty appealing. The reason is because I think such makeup would look great when one is younger but I’m not too sure if they’ll still look presentable as one ages. In addition, some of the horror stories of blotch up jobs did scare me somewhat. So what about you? What do you think of permanent makeup? Would you consider getting them? Or have you tried them?

vivawoman1 Share: would you consider permanent makeup? © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

Lately, I find that makeup is fun. You can change your look to look more alive or natural on normal days or look dramatic for night. With that,
    I don’t think I’m into permanent makeup.:p I’ve seen some with tattooed eyebrows that looked too ‘unnatural’ and your eyes are drawn to the eyebrows rather than the face itself. Personally, I find eyebrows can change your looks dramatically eg: it can make the person look fierce( even when you are not )when it’s too arched. I would rather groom my eyebrows occassionally, on my own, just to make sure its tidy and not too bushy.
    For the lips, I’ve seen some that look like drag queens when they do not put on any lipsticks but yet, the tattooed lipliners with a deeper colour stands out. That’s not sexy.

Yeah, I know what you mean by those unnatural eyebrow tattoos…got to be careful who does it for you or one can look very ‘fierce’. I think if I ever consider, eyebrows are as far as I would go.

I have friends who did eyeliner tatt and brow embroidery and those generally look ok.

But for myself, I’ll pass. I prefer to vary my look and besides, I don’t use black eyeliner. I don’t even fancy body tattoos because they’re too permanent. So will pass on this!

Actually I thought eyebrow embroidery can look very nice…and it really saves loads of time. And for eyeliner, I don’t draw them either…cos don’t know how. So the idea of having a tattoo appeals to me in that sense but of course I won’t ever have the guts to carry through. :razz:

3. Diane says

i’ve just recently learned how to do make up better so I’d definitely want to continue…:) also scared of the consequences of permanent make up!

No. Bec I dun makeup daily so by doing permanent make up, sometimes it look funny if u are not doing any makeup and your eyeliner or brow look so funny~ Plus sometimes permanent make up might not be the look that u want… Then it is very hard to remove them.

5. stella says

i’ve eyebrow embroidery done and it really does save loads of time… i spent a long time researching on salons and technicians before i finally decided on it and went for someone who gives a really soft tattoo. but then of course, this means that i’ll need to touch up more often than someone who has a deeper tattoo; i touch up once a year. i reckon if i don’t want it eventually, it’ll all fade away coz unlike tattoos, ‘embroidery’ is supposed to involve only the upper layers of your skin

i would do eyeliner or lips though; they’re such delicate areas, especially eyeliner tattoo. a salon near my place offers the service and was playing a video of it at their shopfront, scared the hell outta me! the blade is just NEXT to your eyeball, wtf! what if something goes wrong?!

I think eyebrow embroidery can look nice as I’ve seen those but like you mentioned, one must go to a reputable/reliable technician. I didn’t realized they’ll fade off completely though so that’s quite appealing.

I’ve never seen eyeliner tattoo though…if it’s a blade at where you describe, I’ll pass. Scary!

6. espenine says

I have done semi-permanent eyebrow embroidery and this is the best makeup decision I have made! I no longer have to look odd with sparse, thin & uneven eyebrows. In face, after eyebrow embroidery, I can do with less makeup because well-defined eyebrows instantly frame and perk up the face. The only con is that because it is semi-permanent, it fades and I have to touch-up every 4 months. But I am already hooked, at least for now. Can’t describe the joy of perfectly ‘natural’ eyebrows in the morning and I don’t have to do anything about it. :)

Hmm…that’s what I thought. So nice not to have to do anything to them and yet they look perfect! If I don’t apply anything to my face, I must at least darken my eyebrows so this is something very attractive. Re-touching is a bit of a hassle but I suppose it’s better than those hard tattoos. But what happens to the hair? Do they still grow and you’ve got to trim them?

• espenine says

Yup, hair still grows and gotta to trim but even that is easier because the embroidery already provides a frame for trimming & u can’t go very wrong. And my eyebrow hair growth is so sparse, take like just 1 min in 3 weeks for trimming. haha

I see…mine grows faster…got to pluck every other day and trim at least once a week. But the frame is certainly useful.

Eyebrow embroidery can look unnatural when done by an unpracticed hand, like my mom’s. Hers looked like carved brows like those you see on pumpkins during Halloween LOL! I’m no expert but I love spending time shaping my brows, and reckon I’m getting better at it.

Makeup is supposed to be an enjoyable process where you play around with colors, or opt for safe neutral colors when you’re not in the mood.

I think different places will yield different results so it’s important to go to one that is reliable. If I ever try, eyebrow is the first area I’ll attempt. But like I mentioned…if I ever.

Btw, glad your mom is not reading this. :razz:

8. Carrie says

Hm… If there is such a permanent make-up to hide dark circles then I’d probably go for it LOL! Though personally I seldom use make-up, just too lazy to be bothered :P

9. N. says

I dont think Id ever go for permanent makeup. It can look horrible if not done correctly and Ive been traumatized about it ever since I saw this old lady with full on permanent makeup. Scary. Eyebrow embboidery usually looks okay but full on drawn eyebrow is the worst thing ever.
    Luckily I have thick eyebrows and eyelashes and pigmented lips so its not like I would need it.
    Have you ever read about the horrible disasters of permanent blush makeup? Creepy.

No, never even knew there are permanent blush makeup! My gosh…I would not want to attempt that…what if it cause the skin to look like it’s pigmented with sun spots?

I know some people withe permanent makeup!
    My grandma and a family friend have tattooed eyebrows and my mom and a friend and her daughter have tattooed eyeliner. My mom said the eyeliner hurt, but now it’s OK

Personally I wouldn’t get permanent makeup, but I don’t wear makeup regularly, either :P

11. Issa says

I don’t think I’ll consider permanent makeup just because I want different looks for different occasions … It is so fun putting on makeup and I like playing with it! :) Besides, I am amazed at how makeup can change the way you look :) ….

I might consider permanent makeup just for saving time. BUT since I don’t know how I will look with my brow embroidered or my lips tattooed, I have never gone to a salon to do such treatment. Even though I did know, I would still have millions of doubt, uncertainties, and fear. So I guess I will never have permanent makeup in my life.

I believe permanent make up doesn’t look natural at all that’s the part I don’t like as well as the fact that permanent make up is very obvious you can tell if someone is wearing it right away specially when its on the eyebrows. But permanent make up can be a good option for those that can’t live with out makeup and don’t have a lot of time to apply it in the mornings.

Seems that eyebrow embroidery can be quite natural looking…although technically cannot call it a permanent makeup since it does wear out after awhile.

14. Elena says

I have personally tried it, with my lips, and honestly consider it was a big waste of money. Mind you, I got “tattooed” indeed and up to 5 years later I still have some remnants of the “lipliner”part of it. But neither then nor now the effects were useful, good enough or withotu inconveniences to have justified the money spent on that, and the pain it implied.
    For once, I had it done by someone profesionally trained, not an amateur, so I would not say that my problems stem from a poor practinioter of that art, but rather, by the shortcomings of the techniques themselves, and to a point, to the shortcomings of any technician as one person’s taste and work can not be fully controlled by the patient until the work is already done, anyway.
    In my case, it was not too expensive, but expensive enough as to have had an impact in my budget… that I am afraid was not compensated by the joy of seeing myself prettier.
    I did not have my eyebrows done, having seen that for most cases, eyebrows do not look really natural, ever. You really ought to have zero hairs and look like an alien without OR not lack THAT many hairs and just “fill in”areas for it to look ok. Then again, what happens as we age and the skin and hairs “move”? Touch-ups and possible inconveniences for something that really hurts.
    I did not have neither my eyeliner done, a needle this close to my eye made me nervous. Of all, I suspect that if done cnoservatively (no thick lines that go beyond the eye) that must look the best..
    I had my lips done because they are super pale and I really thought I would look way better, as in not sick and healthier, having a mouth that seemed naturally more pigmented.
    First problem: finding the right shade. It is almost impossible for the client to know exactly how the color will look like… the practitioner make the mix going by your directions on what color you want and also on what would look ok and natural with your lip natural color. But not all people think x or y color are the ones that suit a given type of natural color of lip, and neither all skins actually react to the mix of pigments in the same way. So it is a lottery. And I ended up with a color way rosier than I had hoped. If I had not had such pale lips and lipstick to use, people could have noticed I had a lip line that had a tone a bit weird considering the rest of my lip – for some reason the lip line does not take in with the same intensity than the rest of the lip.
    Second, it hurts like crazy. It is not that it hurts horribly, but that the process is slow and some places have to be tattooed in many passes. After half an hour, what was painful but bearable started making me dizzy and feeling like true torture. Even with local -topical- anesthesia.
    Then there was the problem of the lip reaction. You can not know how long the inflammation will last, and to my horror, it lasted for almost 72 hours or more… gladly I had had it done on a Friday and got to miss work on Monday, but it was humiliating to think of going to work with the lips looking like I had some weird disease… only that those fish lips were obviously the result of some procedure…. and that they looked pink!
    When the inflammation subsised, the color was faint enough as to not interfere with my using lipstick – I did not want an unnatural color nor to not be able to wear lipstick in other shades- but not strong enough as to really make a difference in my look when without makeup. Honestly, a long wearing lipstick that is almost “gone”12 hours later would have looked the same.
    Then, there is the issue of how the color of the lips, in the body of the lips, so to speak, tends to peel off sooner than the lip liner, so you end up having more color on the lip line than on the lips, which can create the lipliner-only-as-makeup-for-the-mouth that is NOT alluring. With a faint color like mine, not a big deal, but enoug of a deal for me to be self-conscious to not be stared at that area from too close when without makeup. Funny, the opposite of what I wanted!!
    So would I have it done again? No. Only if I sufferd some sort of accident or problem that really messed up with my features and that I needed the makeup to not look like a freak. OR to fill in sparse eyebrows -not all missing eyebrows… the result is not so good when your eyebrows are all tattooed, so to speak.
    Anyway, results too hard to predict, discomfort and pain, time out to deal with the inflammation, too sublte effects or potentially unwanted effects since one can not fully control the intensity or tone of the color until it is already tattooed!, and too much money spent in something that fades relatively fast, and needs touch-ups if you want it really uniform looking as time goes by (I did not go for touch-ups, but if I had had to… gosh, going through that all over again… no, thank you). So in spite of the good hygiene measures and going to someone knowing her business, I still found it a big waste of time, energy and overall, a disappointment. I consider myself lucky that it did not go really bad, considering all that can go badly!
    Take into account that it can have an impact on whether or not you can have injections (fillers) or other procedures in your lips and still look ok.
    Hope this was useful!

Oh no…I didn’t know they hurt so bad. I was thinking the color of lips and glad you shared the challenge in choosing the right shade. Thank you for sharing your experience as that is very helpful for those considering. I think it’s important to think through such decisions carefully as it is permanent and irreversible. Good thing it wasn’t so bad overall for you.

15. Elena says

Hi there! As I said, it was not bad, but it was not good enough… nor can imagine that if the shade had been more to my liking and the procedures more painless it would still be worth it. Ever since I had it done, many brands came up with the 12 hours- long wearing lipsticks and I’ve noticed I can get the same effect, without the pain and the risks, by using a good lipliner the same color or natural looking to paint not just the lipline, but the actual lips, set with loose powder, then pass it again, then use one of those long wearing lipsticks, over it a rather matte normal lipstick, set with powder again, another pass and then lipgloss _not too much as to not smear, but as to moisturize. That way I keep some UV protection for my lips, color in them, and moisture … and it really lasts for 12 hours or so, and a lot more with any touch up. If I remove the excess in case there was some, it can even last while I sleep without staining the sheets and I wake up looking not totally pale :)

Oh you wear them to bed? That’s interesting! I’ve only worn lip balm to keep my lips moisturize in the night…never anything with color.

well i feel that semi-permanent makeup is better option as compared to permanent makeup, because of the fact that is it NOT permanent and will fade automatically after three years. Plus i have also heard they use mineral pigments, instead of chemical pigments, and mineral pigments are completely safe.
    Nancy@Permanent Cosmetics last post is: Benefits Of Micro Art Makeup For The Summer