Can you use a face mask everyday?

face mask Can you use a face mask everyday?

The first question that begs asking is, why would you want to use a face mask daily?  Well, to improve the complexion, making it clearer and more youthful looking!  Face masks have deep cleansing and conditioning action on the skin, are great in refreshing tired skin or soothe troubled skin, and so using one daily has obvious benefits.  However, not all types of face masks can be used daily.

Gel masks – daily possible
There are many types that are suitable for different skin types.  Usually used to soothe sensitive or irritated skin and have a cooling effect. This type of masks can probably be used daily since they’re gentle enough.  Of course you can also use it only once or twice a week if you’re not keen on frequent usage.

Exfoliating masks – daily possible
Such masks are great for dual purposes; cleansing and exfoliating, thus clearing the skin from the build-up of dead skin cells, which can create a dull look and lead to future problems as as blackheads. They are smooth when applied and typically left to dry for about 5 to 10 minutes before massaging off, followed by rinising. I know some exfoliating masks like the Suisse Programme Peel Off Cream are suitable for daily use because even though it works by sloughing away the skin’s surface debris, it is gentle enough.

Sheet masks – daily possible
Most of such masks work like an instant fix by nourishing the skin using its essence and giving the skin an energetic boost. They are great to be used as a perk-me-up, just before heading out to the party or big event. So these can actually be used quite frequently.

Homemade masks – daily possible
DIY masks are typically gentle enough to be used daily. I use my homemade oat yogurt mask daily and it works fine for me.  Do check the ingredients to ensure they are not overly nourishing or drying before using it on your face everyday.

Moisturizing masks – once or twice a week
These work like an intense moisturizer and are usually left on the skin for between 10 and 30 minutes.  They are rich and are great for dry complexion because they boost the moisture levels of the skin.  Hence, this type of mask may not be suitable for daily use as it may cause the skin to breakout if used excessively.  Once or twice a week should be sufficient unless your skin is extremely dry.

Peel-off masks – once a week
I love such masks because they’re fun to use. But at the same time, they can be too harsh when used too often since the peeling action isn’t exactly gentle. So definitely not to be used daily.

So yes, you can use a face mask daily if it’s gentle enough, suitable for your skin type and is not drying or overly rich. In fact, if your skin looks particularly dull, you can use a face mask everyday continuously for a week to rejuvenate your skin.  However, if your skin is fine, then using a facial mask once or twice a week should suffice.

vivawoman1 Can you use a face mask everyday? © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

1. bibibam says

hi was wondering for each mask such as mositurizing, exfoliant, clay, peels and sheet mask, what are the steps to be in corporate with the daily regime?
    of how to apply and what to do after when it is rinsed off? such as, ie. does moisturising take place after?

what are your recs. for each individual masks?

thanks a bunch.

Bibibam: I think you need to establish what’s your skin type and what are your needs before deciding. I can’t tell you what you should use because different pple have different requirements. But you should always moisturize after using a mask, unless it is a moisturizing leave on mask.

exfoliating mask – can this be a substitution for the once – twice a week exfoliating gel/cream. or can be used with it?

thanks

Helloworld: You can use in substitution or you can use it on a different day. Don’t use them together.

3. Nabeela says

i use a homemade facemask of yoghurt and lemon juice and turmeric powder.can i use this everyday?is it bad to use such homemade facemasks daily?

Nabeela: Some mask can be used daily but my advice is if your skin is not too bad, use twice a week is good. Your ingredients like lemon juice is photosensitive so you shouldn’t use it too often. Remember to wear a sunscreen.

4. kamayani pathak says

hi, i m 35 n my skin is oily n sensitive . shld i use mask on daily basis . which is good 4 my skin

You might want to use clay masks which can help with oil control. Something like rhassoul clay or even dead sea mask can be helpful. However, unless your skin is problematic, you don’t need to use it everyday. Once a week is fine.

I just bought few kgs of rubber mask (some call if 3D mask/powder mask). Can I use it daily? Does it consider as moisturising mask?

Rubber mask is some sort like powder. You mix it with water and a bit essence gel/rose water. Apply on face for 20min and it’s form a layer of soft rubber. Peel off after that. Can refer to my blog:

It is possible but you want to note that mud mask can be drying if their ingredients are solely to extract impurities. So for those, it’s best to use twice a week at most.

i m 30 years old .My skin is normal should i use home made mask daily? and which mask is suitable 4 my face banana wth honey ,papaya wth honey .

• donnie says

banana and honey for a tightening moisturizing and papay and honey for more one the exfoliating tightening side. depends what you are trying to accomplish. papaya have an enzyme named papain which is a gentle exfoliant but very effective.

8. victoria says

i use cucumber and sandalwood mask twice a week but i wore it for almost 6 hours in a day.i have combination skin.Wearing mask for more than 20 minutes , is it will create any problem for my face skin?

Well, depends on skin type. Some pple are okay with it. But I suppose half an hour to an hour would be more than sufficient.

9. Victor G. says

I’ve been using the honey and oatmeal mask and i just wanted to know if i could use it daily? And what hours would be good (in the morning or at night)? Thank you :) im not homosexual either haha

• Sesame says

Yes, it should be no problem as long as you don’t develop sensitivity. The ingredients are quite mild.

• Sesame says

I have no idea what’s that…but if it’s supposed to be exfoliating, then you might want to space out like 2 – 3 times a week.

• ms curious says

I have recently have acne problem and i tried dead sea mud mask and it has a burning sensation…is that normal?

it was so painful i could not keep it on too long…after i removed with cold water…my skin was dry after the try out..i just tried it hoping my acne will go away..

so sad to look at my poor face..

I too want to know if I can use a face mask daily. I had sometimes dry sometimes oily skin with really bad break outs. then yesterday I used a face mask and with good results. Skin was smoother and less irritated and felt/feels great. I did the face mask again this morning and am tempted to do it again tonight?
    – Orange peel powder
    – Honey
    – Milk
    Can I use it daily for a week or so till my skin clears up more or will that be too much?

• Sesame says

Sure…if your skin has no issues, you can do it consistently for a week and then slow down to three times and then twice. Otherwise, go alternate days rather than daily.

11. Cynthia Hernandez says

Can I use a facial mask everyday if each facial masks purpose is different. For example: Monday facial mask that exfoliates. Tuesday facial mask that purifies pores Wednesday facial masks that hyrdrate. Thursday facial mask that smooth skin. Friday facial masks that rejuvenate skin. Etc

12. Natasha says

Hi, Thank you for your lovely and informative post. I have been using a honey, cinnamon, turmeric and lemon juice mask to reduce breakouts and acne scarring on my chin area. The rest of my face is flawless with not even a pimple or scar. I have combination skin..I just want to know how often I can use this mask and if there are any other homemade masks that you could suggest for scar reduction. I would appreciate your suggestions.

• Sesame says

Yes, should be fine if your skin has no issues with it. I say that cos some people tell me their skin reacts to honey.