DIY Beauty: how to wash your face with rhassoul clay

rhassoul clay cleanser DIY Beauty:  how to wash your face with rhassoul clay

Two weeks ago I wrote about my experience using Moroccan rhassoul clay to shampoo my hair and today, I like to tell you about my experience using Moroccan rhassoul clay to wash my face. Actually, I kind of regret using the clay on my hair because I should have saved them for my face! The clay is so wonderful for cleansing my combination skin on a daily basis!

Draws out excess oils and impurities
Moroccan rhassoul clay makes a great skin cleanser because it has anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and antiseptic qualities on top of its remarkable ability to draw out excess oils and impurities from deep within the skin due to its high level of ion exchange. The clay is also highly nourishing for the skin, thanks to its high mineral content and unique composition, including silica, magnesium, potassium and calcium.

According to information I read at Whoopeekiddies.com, studies have shown that rhassoul helps to:

– improve skin clarity and texture
– reduce dryness and flakiness
– remove blackheads, whiteheads & comedons
– improve skin elasticity and firmness, and
– remove dead skin layers, therefore leaving the skin nice and smooth.

In addition, the regular use of rhassoul clay may also help to improve the appearance of skin troubled by eczema, psoriasis, acne and rosacea.

rhassoul clay facial cleanser DIY Beauty:  how to wash your face with rhassoul clay

Cleaner, clearer and radiant skin texture
Although it has only been two weeks I’ve been using this clay to wash my face, I can already see a difference to my skin texture – not drastically, but noticeable enough to make me happy. The most visible effect must be the reduction in the amount of blackheads around my nose. While the oil cleansing method might have something to contribute, but I feel that it is the rhassoul clay that has made my skin cleaner and clearer as a whole. Even my husband commented that my skin looks radiant these days.

Convenient to use
One of the great thing about using rhassoul clay as a facial cleanser is that it is very convenient. All you need is to add water. You can add hydrosol if you like too or mineral water which I use but using water is just fine too. And you don’t need a lot of it. Just a quarter of a teaspoon blended with water and you’re good to cleanse your face thoroughly.

The mixture feels a tad grainy but it’s not rough on the skin. It has an earthy smell which I believe is acceptable or even likeable for most people. In fact, you should find it vaguely familiar as rhassoul clay is widely used at many spas around the world.

Does not foam and does not leave skin feeling tight
The clay does not foam but it cleanses my skin very well and not leaving it tight or taut afterwards. The only drawback for me is that the clay is not ideal for removing makeup. Hence, I only use it in the morning or during the times when I do not wear any makeup. In addition, rhassoul clay can also double up as a facial mask. I can just use the same mixture, apply it on my cleansed face and leave it for about 10 minutes before rinising off.

This natural ingredient is not expensive. 1 oz cost S$5 and that should last you about 2 weeks or maybe slightly longer if you use it twice a day as a facial cleanser. If you’re in Singapore, you can get it at whoopeekiddies.com or yoursessentially.com.

All I can say is, I’m madly in love with mud now!

iherb DIY Beauty:  how to wash your face with rhassoul clay

vivawoman1 DIY Beauty:  how to wash your face with rhassoul clay © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

1. ms says

Hi, where can i get this clay to try out?

ms: Where are you located? In UK (from your email add)? I have left the address of two suppliers in Singapore which you can order from. If you’re located outside of Singapore, you can try to search for DIY beauty ingredients and see if you can find any source in your country.

Here is a link to some resources: http://www.glowingdiva.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=137

that is a cute DISH!!! And if a product makes you happy after 2 weeks of use, it is a start of a relationship! :) i’m glad it works

Nikki: Yeah, I love the dish too. I bought it for photography of ingredients for this blog. I have another one which is shaped like a star.

3. valerie says

Ooo… hmm I like the idea of smoothing my rough skin areas..
    It sounds like something i would like to try once I come back from my holidays..
    Hmm.. sometimes when we look in the mirror we see pretty okayish skin..go out in natural sunlight all the rough patches are seen clearly ><
    looking forward to trying this..
    yeap i like your dishes too.. haha

Valerie: Oh I know exactly what you mean! My crow’s feet look worst under bright sunlight! :(

I always associate clay washes with oily skin. Does this one dry your skin out? I’m going to have to try to get my grubby hands on this clay ;)

ParisB: From my understanding, this clay is fine for all skin types. It’s said to even reduce dryness. However, based on my experience, it maybe a tad drying if used as a mask for dry skin by itself hence it’s better to add other nourishing ingredients. Use it as a cleanser to wash your face and it should be fine.

5. Reese says

it is avaiblable in Malaysia?

Reese: I’m not sure. Do you have stores or online shops which sell DIY beauty ingredients? I know you can get it on ebay in Malaysia.

6. andrea says

cleaning your face with clay sounds nice. could you post before and after pictures or what your face looks like now from using the clay? :)

Andrea: My face looks terrible without makeup…not sure if I want to risk showing that…hee…but at the moment, the difference is not drastic. Hopefully, it’ll improve a lot more with long term usage.

7. nickmatul says

I was wondering, what would your opinion be if I used an oil cleanser to clean off my makeup, and then use the clay to cleanse my face? And from your description, it sounds like it might be great for acne-prone skin!

Nickmatul: Yes, it’s supposed to be good for acne-prone skin based on what I’ve read. I’ve got some cheek acne and it did not aggravate the condition so I think it’s fairly safe. However, I haven’t tried cleansing with the clay after using an oil cleanser but I think it should work well because it absorbs oil.

8. Gnitil- says

if i were to use kaolin white clay, will it be better? cos i’d got dry skin when i’m touched with the sensitive products, so i’m quite worried to try that out :(

Gnitil: My understanding is that Kaolin clay is pretty mild and is suited for all skin types, even those with dry or sensitive skin. It’s actually used in a lot of our cosmetics.

9. Gnitil- says

oh, so is it also possible for me to create the clay mask paste, by mixing the kaolin clay with water and lavander essential oil? :)

Gnitil: Yes, you can add a drop or two of essential oil.

10. Gnitil- says

okay thanks :) btw, can i just use Hydrosol alone as a facial mist(toner)? or must i add something to mix with the hydrosal before i can actually use it?

Gnitil: Yes, you can use hydrosol as a toner. I use that everyday! Love it! No need to dilute but to save, what I do is to dampen the cotton pad with mineral or purified water before pouring some hydrosol on it.

11. Gnitil- says

wow! this is the first time that i know hydrosol can actually be use as a toner! :) if i just mix camomile hydrosol with lavender hydrosol and put the overall solution in a spray bottle, also possible too right? :)

Gnitil: I think you should be able to…but I wonder how the smell would be like. I suggest you try a little first or check with the supplier selling you the hydrosol just to be safe.

12. Gnitil- says

sorry to ask another last ques:( do you store your hydrosol toner in the fridge? or just place it in your room with no lights shining at it.

Gnitil: I decant the hydrosol to a smaller bottle and keep it away from sunlight. The rest I keep in the fridge. It helps extend the shelf life. ;)

13. ann says

Thanks for the recommendation! I just tried it out yesterday and my sluggish skin looked much better after just a wash. =)

Ann: Great! I’m glad you like it too. I love it so much I’ve been using it about twice a day now!

I love rhassoul clay!

My friend Michelle and I recently started up a business specializing in handmade skincare for sensitive skin, and one of the items I formulated was a Rhassoul Chocolate Milk Masque.

It’s got rhassoul clay, goat’s milk powder, cocoa powder, oat flour, rice flour, ground lavender flowers and a smidge of glycerin in it.

I distributed it to some friends to try and they loved it. I also rhassoul as a shampoo with some lemon juice, cocoa powder and brown rice flour.

Reese, we’re KL-based.

Amber: Oh that’s interesting! I’ll have a look at your blog sometime this week…I’m kind of addicted to rhassoul clay.

15. Alana says

I fell in love with the Rhassoul clay, it makes an excellent mask! I saw improvement immediately.

xo

Alana: Oh great! I’m so glad you love it! I was addicted to it – keep using it every morning to cleanse my face until recently I started on the herbal healing masque. But I still use it like 3 – 4 times a week; more as a cleanser and not so much as a mask.

I love Rhassoul Clay too! My face is always so smooth and clear after I use it.

I haven’t tried using it for my hair yet, but I’m addicted to for my face.

Here in the U.S. the best Rhassoul Clay is made by Best of Nature.

I would recommend Rhassoul Clay to anyone – it’s great!

Rhassoul Clay (Mud) is used in Spa’s the world over as a detoxifying Body Treatment. Rhassoul (Rasul) mud exfoliates the skin, drawing out impurities and infusing rich mineral nutrients to rejuvenate and revive.
    Detoxification takes place through the skin which is the largest elimination organ of the body.

18. Stephynia says

I have been using a mixture of Rhassoul clay and calcium bentonite on my acne prone skin for a month. My skin is also very sensitive, but the clay is working great. I was with it then leave it on for a few minutes while I shower. Instead of mixing it with water I use 100% pure aloe vera gel from Lily of the Valley and Manuka honey. I premix enough for a week or so and keep it in my fridge. The honey and aloe work great and my skin is cler for the first time in years!!! My husband loves it.

That’s great! I’m glad you’re able to clear your acne with the combination. Now I wish I can get my hands on rhassoul clay again cos the source I used to get has closed shop!

19. Kendra says

Oh, and also…would this be effective in removing acne? I recently got a breakout from using OCM…

20. Nic says

How do you use this as a facial cleanser exactly? Mix it with water to make a paste, then rub it around your face and rinse off after? Or do u leave it on to dry?

Mix with distilled water as a paste and rub around face before rinsing off. Good for mornings only when your face is relatively clean or during the 2nd round of cleansing say if your face is quite oily.

21. Jojo says

I agree about the Rhassoul being an excellent cleanser. I have tried for a week mixed with Manuka Honey and Kaolin Clay with witch hazel as the liquid. My skin has changed dramatically. I have oily/combination skin and have not been able to find a soap that does not dry out my skin. So after reading this post, I tried it. After a week, I had less acne and when I used the mixture as a spot treatment, the zits dried up with in 24 hours or less. Oh and the oil control was great. It seemed to balance out my oil production. This clay rocks! I am now rotating clays (Bentonite and Green) to see what difference these others make as a cleanser. Thanks for the tip!

That’s great! Glad you’re doing well with it. I’ve not used rhassoul clay for awhile now due to the shortage of supply here…should try to get my hands on it again soon.

22. Casi says

Hi!

How long should you leave the clay on the face for? And should you use warm water or cold water on the face before putting it on? Does it really remove whiteheads and blackheads? And how many days/weeks did it take for you to see good results?

Thank you!!!!! :)

I left it for around 10 – 15 mins…sometimes longer – about once or twice a week. Usually wash off when the clay dries. Doesn’t matter if you use warm or cold water. Some blackheads like around the nose was harder to remove so there is a limit.

23. joanna says

Hi, lovely article! I am not sure if I understand it right, do you mix some clay with water and apply that to the face? Gently rub it on a little and then rinse off, is that how you are supposed to do it? I guess the clay should not be too thin then, or it drips off the face, right?
    I’m excited to try it and would be happy if you read this and give me some more tips :-) ByeX

24. joanna says

OOps, just noticed that you already answered a similar question posed by someone else! Thanks!

25. Beaut says

Hey kind of late but still thought I try. Not sure if the place you order is out of Rhassoul Clay but you can try Camdengrey.com Thats where I get all my products from. They are awesome with their products & pricing and they ship your products so well! They even give you points after you order products to get a discount on your next order. I loooooove Rhassoul Clay btw :-)

26. Dora says

After you have recommended so many great cleansers for my skin and all of them had at least one ingredient I was too afraid to try I was remembering that some people use clay to cleanse their skin. Since oils arent a possibility for my skin I tried it and it was quiet too harsh for my skin but my skin looked incredibly radiant! And now I cleanse with clay and milk which is gentle enough and use bottled water to rinse it off (my skin really cant take water). Its amazing!
    I only leave it one for a minute. And I actually do it in the shower since it always is quiet watery and washing off a clay mask over the sink always ends in such a mess ;)

Love this article!
    Dora =)

27. Aretha says

Hi, can u tell me where to buy the clay online, I’ve tried the ones listed above but they don’t seem to be working anymore. Thanks and kind Regards

28. Maggie says

hi,
    you said that we can get rhassoul cay at whoopeekiddies.com or yoursessentially.com. But when i enter whoopeekiddies.com , the website change to http://www.milagrotrading.com/store/ . is it safe to buy thing for here? is the quality of the clay good?

• Sesame says

Yes, it is the same website. However, I can’t guarantee the quality. I’ve purchased some stuff from them in the past. Most turned out okay.

29. Aidan says

Thanks for writing thearticle on clay cleansing. Would clay be strong enough to wash off a typical zinc sunscreen (which contains zinc, plant oils, beeswax, etc.)?

Or, if not, would it be able to cleanse oil? Say I remove my sunscreen with oil and then follow up with a clay cleanse. Would this be an Ok method? I am worried about being able to completely cleanse since I don’t want residue causing acne or blackheads.

Thanks!
    Aidan

• Sesame says

No, not enough. This is good for morning wash when your face is relatively clean. It can cleanse normal facial oil but not if you’d used a heavy product.