DIY Beauty: nutmeg spice to erase acne scars on your face

nutmeg honey DIY Beauty: nutmeg spice to erase acne scars on your face

Nutmeg, a cooking and baking spice, is often cited as a kitchen ingredient which you can use for your acne scars and blemished marks. I have come across the recipe of using nutmeg and honey but the idea of using spice of my face just didn’t appeal to me, until Leon of Beauty Secrets Revealed suggested it when I complaint about my cheek acne scars.

Used historically for a variety of skin diseases
Apparently nutmeg has anti-inflammatory properties and was used since ancient times for a variety of skin diseases including ringworms and eczema. Add it with honey which has antiseptic benefits and the concoction is supposed to help erase acne marks over time.

Well, I took this recipe to test sometime back and what I found is that it did help to calm the acne, but I didn’t find it effective in reducing the marks and so I gave it up, until recently that is when I decided to try again due to a new mark thanks to my itchy fingers.

Recipe and application method
The recipe is easy. You only need nutmeg and honey, raw unprocessed if possible for the latter. What I did was to mix about half a teaspoon of nutmeg with about a quarter teaspoon of honey into a paste, apply some of it on my acne marks after washing my face and leave it for about 20 – 30 minutes before rinising off. No stinging but the nutmeg smell is strong, not unpleasant though. You can apply a few times a day but what I found a bit more effective is to leave the paste longer for about 30 minutes.

Use it in conjunction with aloe vera
I found this to be more effective the second time I used maybe because I left the paste longer for 30 minutes. On top of it, I also used aloe vera afterwards on the spot. My acne marks healed faster this time and although I still have scars, the tone appeared more even and the mark is less distinct like the others I had.

Milk in place of honey
Because I still have quite a bit of the paste left, I’m going to continue using this as I realized that patience is key with homemade remedies as this is not a miracle potion.  But hopefully, I can really get rid of the acne scar in time if I can use it more consistently.  However, I found another recipe that suggest using milk in place of honey and I may try that to see if it works better.

Update on 28 Feb 09
Nutmeg with milk seems to give slightly better results but the drawback is that milk apparently isn’t as soothing as honey, well at least for me. So with milk, you have to reduce the frequency to once a day as a spot treatment or your skin may burn. Or if you use it twice a day, leave the paste on for a maximum of 20 mins and wash off afterwards.

iherb DIY Beauty: nutmeg spice to erase acne scars on your face

vivawoman1 DIY Beauty: nutmeg spice to erase acne scars on your face © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

Interesting… definitely worth a shot!! I love natural DIY scrubs,masks, etc so I am looking forward to trying this nutmeg scrub.

• Sesame says

You can get fresh aloe vera and cut it up, use the juice if you can extract some. But the easiest is to get 100% aloe vera gel which you can get from pharmacies or shops that sell them. eg. iHerb.

• Stephanie says

I have been using milk, nutmeg, and honey for spot treatments and a mask of smashed banana, plain yogurt, splash of milk, and honey. They seem to be helping, even on my old scars.

The milk, nutmeg, and honey concoction has an anti-inflammatory (nutmeg), antiseptic (honey), and Retinol (milk in the form of Vitamin A Palmitate).

2. curious says

natural greek yogurt (or plain regular yogurt) and nutmeg could add an interesting twist… giving it more consistency than milk.

3. Evangelina says

I have a question, I made the mix with the tsp of nutmeg and tbl sp of honey but I feel like there is enough for two seperate uses. My question is how long after mixing do I have to use it. If I left it in a container for a day or two would it still have the same affects? I know honey doesnt expire so I was just curious and if I could store it how should I go about doing it?

4. Taylor says

How many times a week can I use this? And about how many weeks will it take to make an affect? Also, will it mix badly with benzole peroxide that my dermatologist has me on? Thanks so much!

• Sesame says

I don’t know how well it’ll go with what your derm has prescribed. But don’t use them together at the same time. Otherwise, if this use this for 10 – 20 minutes daily as a spot treatment, you should see some results in 3 weeks’ time or maybe sooner depending on your skin type.

5. Lara says

Carley’s Smooth & Clear makes a wonderful cream (Tamanu Cream) to help clear acne scars. All of their products are amazing. I’ve had acne my whole life and my skin has never been better since I started using their products, which are made with natural, healing and soothing ingredients. I discovered them in the comments of a blog on natural skin care. Just paying it forward :o)

6. Tina Brooks says

Sesame, do you have a recipe for sun spots or for redness on the face? I have Lupus and my face gets really red on my cheeks, nose and chin. I also have broken blood vessels on my checks? Any natural magic that can help?

• Sesame says

Hmm…quite can too strong cos nutmeg and lemon juice sounds too potent and can irritate your skin big time.

7. katrina says

Hi Viva!

Would you suggest me leaving this (as on the spot treatment) for as long as half the day/ overnight on my PIH? For days which I would be staying in, I’d have more time on my hands and it would be feasible for me to leave it as long as I want after my morning cleansing.

Would my skin get too “used” to this treatment if I opt for such an intensive measure? In Sandi Brenner’s Beauty on a budget she claimed that leaving it OVERNIGHT would help heal scars.. This as opposed to the usual half an hour treatment.

Best,
    Katrina :)

• Sesame says

I suggest you do this gradually, like from 10 minutes to half an hour, to an hour and more. I’m less inclined to recommend overnight treatment cos I don’t know your skin condition. Plus, it can leave a mess on your pillow.

• Sesame says

I used up to a few times each day. But I suggest you try it on a spot first and see if it causes any irritation for your skin.

• Sesame says

This remedy works better on newer scars. It might help to lighten up the old ones but results may not be too remarkable.

8. niki says

nutmeg+milk mask is just about the only thing that has given me fast results with my acne scars. i have tried everything from prescribed acne medicines, microdermabrasion scrubs, to clarisonic’s mia 2. i use a tbsp of ground nutmeg, and literally only 5-6 drops of whole organic milk. my mom says the longer you leave the mask on the better, sometimes i leave it for 30min, other times 1 hr +. wash gently, massage skin with almond oil afterwards. my skin tone is on the darker side so i’m not sure if that makes a difference. i wear this mask about 2-3 times a week.