web stats

Does glycerin soften skin but dries it out?

Glycerin Does glycerin soften skin but dries it out?

I was quite surprised to see the following comment from Betty Brock in one of my entries concerning the usage of body lotion. In the comment, she stated that body lotion shouldn’t be used as a hand cream as it isn’t rich enough. In addition, she wrote something about avoiding glycerin as a key ingredient in hand creams.

…stay away from hand creams that contain too much glycerin. All they do is put an invisible glove on your hand. If you want to moisturize your hands, buy a cream that can actually penetrate the skin. Anything under $5 is junk.

Actually, I’ve come across some similar comments regarding this ingredient. Apparently, it is said that too much glycerin in a formula tends to irritate some people, causing their skin to become drier or causing them to break out. I can’t say for sure as I do not have similar experience. Moreoever, glycerin is a common ingredient used in skin care products as a humectant and as an emollient to soften and soothe skin.

What is glycerin?
In Paula Begeoun’s Ingredient Dictionary, glycerin is called glycerol or glycerine as well and is present in all natural lipids (fats), whether animal or vegetable.

It can be derived from natural substances by hydrolysis of fats and by fermentation of sugars. It can also be synthetically manufactured. Whether natural or synthetic, glycerin is a humectant and extremely hygroscopic, meaning it readily absorbs water from other sources. So, in part, glycerin works because of its ability to attract water from the environment and from the lower layers of skin (dermis) increasing the amount of water in the surface layers of skin. Another aspect of glycerin’s benefit is that it is a skin-identical ingredient, meaning it is a substance found naturally in skin. In that respect it is one of the many substances in skin that help maintain the outer barrier and prevent dryness or scaling.

However, Paula also mentioned that high levels of glycerin has no proven increased benefit for skin. In fact, pure glycerin (100% concentration) on skin is not helpful and can actually be drying, causing blisters if left on too long as they can increase water loss by attracting water from the lower layers of skin (dermis) into the surface layers of skin (epidermis) where the water can easily be lost into the environment.

What is it used in?
Personally, I’m not fond of glycerin and I used to hate to use it in my DIY vitamin C serum.  However, I know many believe that soaps made with glycerin are beneficial for our skin and hence, would disagree that it’s drying or that it forms an invisible coat on the skin. Whilst I do not find it problematic and do not mind it in general, I do not find it particularly beneficial as a key ingredient. So going forward, I’ll probably keep a lookout for it. If a product is expensive and glycerin appears as one of the top 5 ingredients, I’ll probably think twice about buying it.

vivawoman1 Does glycerin soften skin but dries it out? © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice
_______________________________________________________

About Sesame Chew

Blogger and founder of Viva Woman, Sesame is a skin care addict who is fond of using natural & organic beauty products. She also enjoys ogling at handmade jewelry & cute stationery.

_______________________________________________________

Comments

1. I would have to disagree…I use pure glycerin and it has helped my skin greatly especially with pure lemon juice and my mom swears by it and uses it all over her body. I haven’t seen my skin get dry I wish..since I have oily skin….so I don’t know…

• You use pure glycerin with pure lemon juice? Woah…very potent combination! Vegetable grade I suppose?

I think there are different views regarding glycerin and it might have to do with skin types as well. I never gave much thoughts to it but personally don’t like using it in DIY formulations. I think it’s the feel I dislike. But I would mind it if the product is expensive and has a lot of this. It’s quite cheap to get as an ingredient.

2. valerie says:

I have glycerin in my toner but I suppose that should be okay right? because I have pretty oily skin ((: but if i am not wrong usually i am still told to moisturize properly

• Should be okay since it’s unlikely to be the first few. It’s probably there to also act as a stablizer/preservative. Most products would have glycerin.

3. I have heard the saying that hand creams just form a cover on the hand. Slowly the skin will die and then become dry. Subsequently need to put more hand cream to moisturize it. Not sure if its true.

In addition, I heard that SK II has got yeast ingredient in it and it will just “eat up” the old skin and renew the skin. Sounds terrifying to me.

4. I do agree that concentrated amount of glycerin is not good for the skin. I’ve tried applying pure glycerin onto my face before just to see what happens and the face looked watery while my skin looked wrinkly. it was quite bizarre

• Wow, you’re so brave! I hope it was just a small patch you tried on. Don’t do it again.

• Brooke says:

It might have something to do with your skin type. I use pure glycerine and it has completely changed my skin for the better! I like to apply it with some water, and the glyerine just absorbs that into my skin.

5. I am surprise to know glycerin can be drying (thanks for the info), it is a humectant that commonly existed in our daily skin care routine, of cause it is low-cost too. I read before about hyaluronic acid (or sodium hyaluronate) is also functioning by attracting water from environment. If the environment is not humid enough, then it will absord water from dermis in order to keep the skin hydrated. I didn’t rely on single ingredient since we might need both oil and water moisturizing agents in less humid environment/for dry skin. From my experience in dry weather, even a heavy pure oil product can be drying after few hours, that’s why I am not avoiding synthetic ingredients like silicone, carbomer… etc.

• sesame says:

It seems glycerin works the same way and the humidity plays a big role too. Anyway, I just don’t want to pay a lot for a product that uses glycerin as a key ingredient. Don’t find it does much.

6. hi sesame! i realised i havent been receiving your email updates since the start of the year! is there something wrong? i dont know of anything i can do from my side…

• sesame says:

Oh dear…I’ve been told by a few other readers too. Not sure what went wrong. Anyway, I’ve unsubscribed your email and then re-subscribed again. Can you verify the confirmation at your end? I hope that’ll solve the problem.

7. I think I have the ingredient in one of my product but too lazy to see which one. Hopefully it won’t ruin my skin in the long run!

I’ve heard about the SK2 thingy about the yeast too. I used FTE once in a while, just for the sake of finishing it. But from some experiences I’ve heard, it sounded scary!

• sesame says:

I think it’s okay. Glycerin won’t ruin your skin. Just that it’s not useful if the content is too much.

I stay off SKII. I tried it when it was first launched and find their products over-rated. But my hairstylist swear by the Pitera lotion.

8. loveless says:

hi
    may i know what hand creams you are using now?
    My facial skin is oily but my body and especially my hands are very dry. I once went for a full body massage and the masseuse had to keeping applying oil as my skin was soaking it up like a sponge.
    I’m still looking for good affordable natural and/or organic skin lotions and hand creams. For body I’m using Rosken dry skin cream for now.

For hand creams, I have tried neutrogena norwegian forumla, Yuskin A, 100% Pure Organic Hand Cream. and some other brands available at watsons or guardian. the latest one I’ve tried from Bud Cosmetics is the Super Soothing Rescue Lotion which is good, but very expensive considering I can go through a 50ml tube @$22 in roughly 2 weeks. (I usually have to apply hand cream at least 2-3 times in an hour.)
    some of the organic or natural ones i’ve tried, e.g. the 100% Pure Hand Creams, tend not to be able to penetrate into the skin well, leaving the skin shiny but dry and uncomfortable.
    sorry for the ranting, but do you have something to recommend for someone with eczema prone sensitive skin who needs a good cheap hand cream?
    (btw i know rosken’s not a natural brand, but I can’t find something else that works without an irritating smell.)

• The one I tried that is cheap and effective was Lavera Basis Sensitive. The small tube was going for $5 at Watsons and the bigger one was $19 I think. However, I don’t seem to see it anymore. You can check my review here:

The other one I like is L’Occitane Shea Butter hand cream. Very nice but it’s also very ex at $42 and so I use it only sparingly before bedtime.

• sesame says:

Hey, I just remember I’ve tried this product Skin MD Natural and it’s not bad…seems to be created for those with dry hands or skin problems. I saw it at Guardian if I am not wrong. I reviewed it long ago here:

9. i never really read the ingredient on my face cream…maybe i should start doing that….i never suffer from dry skin & i always use 3 or 4 different product all the time…i’m at the stage i’m not sure which one is working for me anymore…haha…but i’m suffering from blackhead on the nose & tzone area…any suggestion? i tried so many products….nothing seem to be working….

• sesame says:

Why do you use so many products? If it’s just skincare, just limit to 2. A serum and a moisturizer. In the daytime, you can add a sunscreen or use a moisturizer with SPF.

Do you exfoliate your skin? That could help clear some of your blackheads.

10. Recommendation for a cheap hand cream for those with eczema: try Aqurea moisturizing cream from Guardian (usually put near the eczema products shelves). It is not natural. However, it penetrates the skin without being greasy/oily. I must admit I’ve tried a lot of natural creams – based on oils and butters, but the oils and butters just sit on the surface of my skin without penetrating. I find Aqurea to be cheap and effective. The active ingredient is 10% urea. It’s worth a try and if it doesn’t work for your hands, it’s also a good foot cream (for cracked heels).

11. Regarding glycerin, I have formulated with glycerin, but I find it sticky and I don’t like the feel of it on my skin. I keep the percentage as low as possible (5% or less).

• sesame says:

Yup, I think that’s also the same reason why I don’t like the feel of it. I always cut down the % whenever possible.

12. I use glycerin for foiling sometimes, but I only use a real tiny bit. I hear it can cause blisters if you use it directly by itself – especially around the mouth. Scary.

13. zzzmadison says:

hi sesame,

i’ve not been receiving the email updates too.. please check mine too! thanks =)

• Seems that something is not working. I tried subscribing and didn’t receive any updates. I need to check with Feedburner about this. Meantime, you may have to come visit the site directly. Sorry about that.

14. TheUndercoverGypsy says:

I’m a little late to this entry, but just wanted to chime in with my 2 cents – just like you mentioned in your entry, I remember glycerin soaps used to be the holy grail for clear skin at one time, when the older folks would stock up on Pears soap, so I too was intrigued when I first read that glycerin might actually contribute to dry skin conditions. However, the following entry in Afrobella’s blog regarding winter hair care cleared up the issue about humectants and moisturising care

So perhaps it also depends on the season in which we use glycerin as a moisturising agent – maybe this dry, biting weather in Singapore this year is not the best time to whip out the glycerin enriched creams. :)

15. Hey, just wanted to ask which code do you use for Related posts. Can you suggest me any?

Swathy

• You mean the plugin? I use Similar Posts:

You’ll need to install the Post-Plugin Library too.

16. zhenling says:

hm i have always been wary of formulations with high amountd of glycerine. one reason being i know that it can cause alot of white heads.

and secondly i did not like the idea of paying so much when the main ingredient glycerine is so cheap.

my search for the product with the PERFECT formulation has been very tough. while some may not have glycerin, they often contain some other comedogenic humectant =/

• It’s hard to find the perfect formulation. Either they’re imperfect or they’re too ex. But I think I’m happy with my current sunscreen formulation. It’s almost perfect to me.

17. pf1123 says:

Oh yes, I agree with TheUndercoverGypsy.

The glycerin needs to absorb moisture from the air.

Singapore is so dry now. I’m in Bangkok. Its slightly better. But I’m still breaking out. I hope to go back soon and do facial extraction plus the weather gets humid soon. Else my pores are gonna get so big, dirt and oil gets trapped in them. :(

• sesame says:

Bangkok is pretty polluted isn’t it? But seems like you’re not the only one complaining about dry skin. Another local reader said the same thing as you.

18. I disagree.. as a kid I had the worst scaliest of dry skins on my legs and the only way it was cured was after a friend recommended to my mum that I apply a mix of glycerin and rose water (50:50). No other oils (olive included), cream, lotions ever worked, so I sort of swear by it. But that’s when I lived in Bangalore (drier place). In Singapore, a body lotion seems to work fine.

• sesame says:

There’s some controversy over the ingredient…I guess it just depends on users. Maybe the skin type or maybe the weather.

Personally, I don’t like glycerin too much but don’t have an issue with it except I won’t want to be fooled into purchasing an expensive product with lots of this stuff. It’s so cheap when we use it DIY.

19. Hi, I was just looking around your site and came upon this post, I wanted to chime in a bit on glycerin. I have also used a 50/50 mix of glycerin and rose water (or other hydrosol) as a facial moisturizer for a couple of years now and it has served me very well. I do understand your problem with stickiness because I have tried using the same formulation on my body instead of lotion and I did not like the feeling. But my face seems to absorb it fairly quickly so this does not present a problem. Thanks!

• sesame says:

That’s great. I have some telling me that they use the same formulation and it worked wonders for them too.

20. Isabella says:

I have a serious question,
    I want to start making my own homemade soaps and since glycerin is the main ingredient I started doing a little bit of research to find out if glycerin is actually good for you. As you mentioned, it absorbs moisture from the deeper layers of the skin to make the epiderm smoother and softer. But what happens to the dermis at that point, does it constantly produce moisture, or does the use of glycerine slowly make your skin dryer and addicted to more glycerin? Do you have any suggestions on what to use instead of glycerin as a base for my homemade soaps?
    Thank you kindly.

• Michelle says:

I found a soap boutique that sells beautifully scented products made out of goat’s milk and oatmel! The milk has a bit of exfoliating and the oatmeal has a bit of nourishing qualities. I’m hooked on this stuff.

21. I have an autoimmune disorder. My Rheumatologist has told me to stay away from glycerin. That it actually does dry the skin and my condition causes drying so more dryness is something I don’t want. Finding products seems to be impossible.

• sesame says:

Oh…so it does dry up skin. And you can’t use even if it’s just a little in the formulation? That’ll be tough…

22. Michelle says:

I have heard so much about Glycerin and how it’s bad for you. A few years ago my aesthitician told me the benefits of using pure, botanical products on my face…not chemically manufactured. She told me about the brand MyChelle that is only available through health food stores – it’s a little pricey but felt good knowing i was putting good stuff on my face. Earlier this year, a friend introduced me to Arbonne and it is, undoubtedly, the best stuff I have put on my face. They are very proud to say they don’t put glycerin in their products…only the best botanical ingredients. Has anybody else heard of Arbonne? it’s a swiss product

23. Hannah says:

Hello!

Thank you so much for sharing this! I was trying to figure out if glycerin was good or bad for you because I read such conflicting opinions.
    It makes a lot more sense now! I am excited because I am going to make hot process soap and it cooks out the glycerin so it will work great! Thanks again!

Hannah

24. ephilly says:

I don’t understand the negative reviews. glycerin mixed with water, 1 part glycerin to 3 parts water is the only thing that has helped my dry skin. I have bought everything from eucerin, la mer to kiehls and it is the only thing that has helped.

• sesame says:

I guess it really depends…some ingredients work miracles for specific skin type. Some have said glycerin worked well for them too.

25. Barbara says:

In the last three months I started using liquid glycerin soaps (I tried 3 brands all of which failed for me) because of the hype saying that they are better and more natural for your skin than other chemical ingredients and that they would also help to keep the skin clearer. Well, every brand I tried caused my skin to accumulate whiteheads and breakouts (and my skin was clear before I began using them). After about three weeks of use, every one of these soaps, touted as being mild and pure, actually began to burn and dry out my once smooth skin, especially in the eye area, and I was only using them once or twice a day. All my adult life my skin has been suceptible to breakouts and now that I’m 59 years old, I noticed that every one of these glycerin soaps resulted in the appearance of fine lines on my face that were not there before. They din’t go away, even after moisturizing. I was losing skin firmness and elasticity faster than I felt was normal even though I am fast approaching Senior Citizenville. My eye area was effected the worst. I never saw anything like it. I aged 10 years in the last 3 months!!!! I also got sores around my mouth that wouldn’t heal until I stopped using the soap 2 days ago. I’m hoping that the texture will go back to its previously smooth surface in another few weeks. So, glycerin may not be the best ingredient if your facial skin is sensitive, dry, and/or prone to breakouts. Also, when I rinsed the soap off my skin, it felt like I had a plastic coating left behind. Not so wonderful. Maybe these soaps are better for the body than the face (or for washing socks).

26. macadamia says:

hi,
    i know this is a very old post but just wanted to say that I used pure concentrated 100% glycerin on my skin on three occasions like an idiot because I had no idea. Anyway the result it dried my skin out painfully and i have oily skin. I then noticed dark marks and scarring around my mouth and wrinkle lines. needless to say i threw the bottle out and visited a dermatologist who says it has to be diluted to 5% or less glycerin and 95% water when you feel like you’re losing moisture, but not continuously. now I am taking vit e supplements and collagen based moisturizers to bring my skin back to life. Its been getting better… only hope it gets back to normal.

• sesame says:

Thanks for sharing your experience with glycerin and I hope your skin recovers quickly. Really gotta be careful using some of these DIY ingredients.

• stephanie cowie says:

I’m new to computers but i’m enjoying surfing! Came across your site and just had to let you know my findings! initially i read in a magazine that adding glycerine to nail polish remover made it kinder on your nails, but hey after using it as a moisturiser on top of my usual brand i have had so many compliments about my skin, i’m 51 but have been told i look as if i’m in my thirties! i’m so chuffed, i think the nicest thing about using glycerine is the lovely warm feeling it gives to your skin, i’ll be using it for the rest of my natural! life.

27. I hate the sticky feeling of glycerine pony the face but when mixing with rosewater,leon juice and a few drops of olive oil,i think it works good for the skin making it supple and soft.

28. Christopher says:

Like others, I came across this web-site while researching the pro/cons of glycerin. For about a decade now my hands skin has been getting dryer and dryer (they even burn) to the point of where the skin cracks and flakes especially during the low moisture winter months. So, when it get too bad I usually buy an intensive care hand lotion that helps a little. My moisture starving skin quickly obsorbs the lotion. Yesterday, I started using O’Keeffe’s Working Hands which has glycerin as the second ingrediant. Like others who have mentioned in Speak Your Mind it does leave a noticeable sticky barrier/coating on my hands. Too soon to determine its effects; But so far it has slowed down the skin craking and peeling. I’ve added a little filtered water to my hands in order to re-activate and thin out the glycerin. As written in previous comments where different persons have varied skin issues maybe someone will come across a multi-purpose skin remedy that’s not expensive or harmfull to the body. Then they’ll return and tell us all. Good hunting.

29. I just bought glycerin today as part of a DIY make up project and I wanted to learn more about it. Ive already learned that glycerin is actually good for sensitive skin. It also attracts water, and that’s probably why some of you have had problems. You have to dilute glycerin well or it will take moisture from your skin and just sit on the top layer. If you live in a humid area, it attracts water from the air and adds that moisture to your skin. It sounds like those of you who’ve had negative reactions just had a bad combination of glycerin to water. Except for the soap story; it would seem difficult to get a bad combination of glycerin to water if you’re in the shower… Eh, I’m not an expert.

30. Glycerin is a component of every living cell. It has been shown to help cells heal themselves. It absorbs into the lower skin layers, and it attracts moisture to the cells. I use a lotion that contains glycerin every day–without it, my skin gets severely dry (I live in high desert country, at 5000 feet above sea level). Perhaps you are having trouble with the formulation you are using, but don’t blame glycerin. It is one of nature’s primary healing agents.
    Lane last post is: The President Who Wanted to be a Farmer

• Sesame says:

I’ve used it almost neat in my DIY formulations and I’m not hot about it. Anyway, I’m not the only one having questions about this ingredient.

31. I wonder if the glycerine gets absorbed even partially into the skin then pulls moisture into it. So if mix with something that it attracts can hydrate the skin. I think Ill test it out after researching a bit more. Seems a lower concentration may be adequate for my use.

32. ariel says:

I found glycerin to be a lifesaver to my skin. Im no longer dry in my t-zone, and my skin is more supple, glowing and “springy” feeling. Very few signs of acne now and when something does come it is more easy to extract. It makes a great mask when slightly diluted with water. It removes makeup gently and well. My skin has h0onestly never felt so good. I cant beleve its so cheap for the results.

• Sesame says:

That’s great that glycerin works well for you…I know some women swear by it and yes, it’s really cheap.

33. I have recently been diagnosed with a glycerine allergy meaning I need to eliminate it, which is hard. I am looking for body soap, hand soap, lotion, detergent, deodorant, and toothpaste WITHOUT glycerine. Thanks for your lists.

• Try the products from [ http://puraderm.com/eczema-products.php ] I have used their body wash and shampoo before. It rinses thoroughly and leaves no residue. The ingredients are non-allergenic. I stopped using it however, because it dried my skin too much, and since I’m not allergic to glycerin, I have switch to a different product that contains glycerin and works well to retain moisture on my skin. Read up on the site for Puraderm and then give them a try if you’re interested.

34. Using pure glycerine alone is not the right way to go about it. In my experience I’ve found that mixing it with water and witchazel [the unscented and alcohol-free kind] by ratio of 2:1:1 water:glycerine:witchazel in a spray bottle helps to maintain 24hr moisture for my dry skin. I bathe everyday, so I apply the mix after my morning shower. The spray bottle works great because it covers all areas in a fine mist that I can then just smooth into my skin without needing to dip and dab anything. Just spray and go. I take my time loving my skin every morning and that’s 10-15 minutes shower and 5 minutes of moisturizing. 20 minutes total at most. Done.

Everyone has to learn how to take care of their own skin at some point. No one gets a manual and even your parents do have all the info. I’ve come to my knowledge by experimenting.

As an added bonus, shaving my face and head is also best done after moisturizing my skin with my DIY mix. I get no bumps and no irritation so I don’t even need after shave. Less chemicals, and my skin is happy.

I feel some ppl spend way too much money and time on weird concoctions. My advice, read a good book on how the skin really works, and then do some research on some of the chemicals you find on the labels of cosmetic products….a little logical leg work goes a long way. And my rule of thumb is if I wouldn’t put it in my mouth, I wouldn’t want it on my skin. Glycerin + water + witchazel…all natural. Before I used glycerin, I used olive oil. But my skin would be dry before the day was over. Now having switched, not anymore.

• Parents *don’t* have all the info. Eh…brain meet fingers. 8)

• Sesame says:

Glad that glycerin works well for you. It’s interesting you’re using it as a spray.

• Yes. Ever since I started making my own DIY skin tools, I’ve moved away from jars and squeeze bottles because it takes too long to apply evenly.

As I mentioned, I used to use olive oil instead of glycerin. Oil works well to retain moisture but it doesn’t last long enough. And due to it’s viscosity, it made sense at the time to use a spray bottle instead of pouring oil on my palm and then attempting to rub it into my skin. Too messy and too time-consuming.

As a spray and more importantly, a fine mist, I get even coverage in less time and I’m also better able to gauge proper proportions and tweak as needed since the spray bottles I use have ridges that I use to measure the liquid amounts.

With glycerin, I found that adding water makes it easier to apply and since glycerin actually absorbs water, I never even bothered to apply it undiluted. I do know that putting pure glycerin on my skin yields a slight warm/hot sensation. Having dry skin, that simply would not work. So from the get go, I knew it had to be mixed. I just happened to have already had a system in place such that I only needed to change one ingredient.

I add witch-hazel to the mix because being an astringent it offers an additional layer of tautness and protection to my skin. Of course, it may not work for everyone as skin conditions do vary widely. But as I said, I use a 2:1:1 ratio. Sometimes depending on the season, and local humidity levels I’ll go up to a 4:1:1 ratio of water:glycerine:witch-hazel.

35. ronvench says:

just want to ask if it’s safe for 6 month old baby since it’s natural naman? thanks…

36. Some thoughts..

Just read in this month’s Allure that Glycerin is a great ingredient to look for in skincare products. I’m Asian and I know Glycerin is a popular ingredient that we use in alot of creams and soaps. etc. Example, the Japanese Skin Cream – YuBe.

So maybe not to use 100% Glycerin, but Glycerin in products with a combination of vitamins, etc.

37. Nicole Sklar says:

I absolutely agree with your statements on Glycerin. I know all skin types are different, but as for mine it hates Glycerin. Glycerin makes my skin feel like it has a fake, soft film on it and it actually brings out my wrinkles, may sound weird but it is true- not sure if I’m allergic to it or not but my skin hates it.

I am also very allergic to aloe and have been very frustrated finding a wash and cream that do not contain either glycerin or aloe. I have spent many, many hours on it and have found only the following products:
    -DHC cleansing oil
    -Spieza organic facial cleanser and nourishing cream (maybe the best one for me)
    -%100 Pure Seafoam Cleanser
    -Trilogy Very Gentle Cleansing Cream
    -Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Cream
    -RMS Cocunut Cream
    -CSI Wheat Milk Natural Cleanser
    -MyChelle White Cranberry Cleanser (WAY TOO DRYING)

I am 35-years-0ld, with blackheads and dry skin (combo skin?), I can’t find a product that cleans my face without leaving it dry and that doesn’t contain aloe or glycerin. Also, many concentrated oils leave me with severe allergic conjunctivitis. Any advice about the products I stated or can you recommend a product or products for me?

38. Glycerin in high levels in any skin application, be it soap or lotion, works best when it is used in combination with water. Also, in cases of very dry skin, it acts to pull water to the surface where it is needed. Those with dry skin know that when they bath, their fingers will quickly acquire the “prune”. This is because water absorbs quickly and deeply penetrates. It also is lost quickly. The glycerin seals that moisture in. Additionally, glycerine is antimicrobial. Those who have dry skin complicated by folliculitis (where hair roots easily get infected causing bumps). The glycerin helps prevent the follicle infections resulting in smooth skin. This is a boon when shaving. When using a high glycerin cream anywhere, adding water (rosewater is great) when spreading it on assists in absorption of key ingredients and a less sticky after-feel, as well as making the glycerin’s immediate effects as a skin moisturizer more potent.

39. does using glycerin for face causes more hairs on face???

plzzz tel me the answer for dis.. i have used glycerin for my legs bt it caused more hairs… so wt is the side effect of using glycerin???

anyone plz do reply to my question… send ur answer to dis mail id..
    sahanasana01@gmail.com

40. have a feeling that for that theortical..perfect lotion..definately would contain glycerine as one of the primary ingredients..but not the plant one…maybe honey?

41. Whoops..I meant to say I have a feel perfect lotion would contain “some kind of humectant” as one of the primary ingredients.

42. Vun Hammill says:

We found company called Guuky. They don’t include any gylcerin in their products. We have been using them for year now n found it to be very hydrating without any scary chemicals.

43. Whether glycerin is drying or not depends on the environment the person is in. It is hydroscopic which means it’s molecules draw moisture from the environment. The simplest way for it to do this is from moisture in the air, AKA humidity. If the humidity is too low, it will draw moisture from the hair or skin. So in a humid environment, it takes moisture from the air, therefore it’s application promotes increased moisture to the skin as the glycerin soaks in. However, in a dry environment, it will just take away moisture from the skin and by quite counterproductive. The same people who don’t have success with glycerin in Arizona may have good results on a vacation to South Carolina and vice versa.

• Sesame says:

Hmm…makes a lot of sense! I think that’s why some women find the ingredients great while others don’t. Thanks very much for this valuable explanation! :)

44. Charbel says:

Hello, I’m making a deodorant with coconut oil and I want to know if glycerin will help to lower the freezing point of my product.

Do you think it’s a good idea to add glycerin to my deodorant so it doesn’t freeze as easily in the colder months? During the cold months coconut oil gets kind of hard.

Do you think glycerin going to help? If it does help, how much
    glycerin should I use in my deodorant?

Thank you!

• Sesame says:

Sorry Charbel, I have no idea because I’ve not tried making one with glycerin to comment.

45. Hi, I know that this is a very old post but I just wanted to contribute my thoughts and knowledge from what I have read from the internet. Glycerin only pulls moisture from the environment when its surrounding humidity is 70% or greater, if not it will pull moisture from the bottom layers of your skin causing it to be even drier.