Ankle socks with heels: match or mismatch?

ankle socks platform heels Ankle socks with heels: match or mismatch?

Recently, I picked up a vintage ruffle dress, complimentary from Club Couture. The dress definitely looks better with heels but I wanted to try a different look, and so experimented with black ankle socks since socks and heels have been spotted frequently at the runways. Looks like I’m wearing ankle boots isn’t it?

I used to wear lacy socks in my younger days but I’ve never worn with heels though. It was definitely considered a fashion faux pas then. And with open-toe sandals, it was a big NO NO! But now, socks and heels are quite a common sight. I kind of like the look because it’s a little boho chic to me and I think it’ll work nicely with longer dresses or skirts too. And I’ll like to defy convention by saying that older ladies can wear this look too as long as they don’t try to look cute.

red socks and heels1 Ankle socks with heels: match or mismatch?

Just that I definitely wouldn’t try different colors for the socks and shoes like this assemble taken from ModCloth Ankle socks with heels: match or mismatch?. The red socks are definitely too tacky looking and I think the look would be better with socks in the same color as the dress at least. That, or the socks should be the same color as the shoes. Or do you think the dress is better off worn without socks?

vivawoman1 Ankle socks with heels: match or mismatch? © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

1. stella says

mismatch is cuter; but in your case, match ‘cuz i think you will look like you’re trying to hard to be cute if you mismatch the socks, if you don’t mind my honest opinion. i think you’re more suited to a cleaner, more sophicated look

I don’t know about mismatch. The Modcloth style isn’t so great…maybe with another outfit.

Yeah, it’s true. This is not my daily look. I’m more inclined to simple outfits. In fact, this is the first time I’m wearing something with so many frills and ruffles. I also think I need to adjust my makeup to make it work better.

2. kiwi says

I thought you were wearing ankle boots! If I could, I would wear socks with heels or any type of shoes, because wearing these type of shoes hurt my feet, and wearing socks somehow protects them. But then again, it’d look ugly, so I guess I’d pass.

But in your case, it REALLY doesn’t look like you were wearing socks with heels. O.O

Yep, it looks like ankle boots so it’s still okay. If it’s too obvious or I’ve tried a different color, it’ll be offbeat.

3. Caramel says

No no no, definitely no no for the socks with heels for me!
    In general heels accentuate the nice curves of our ankles and legs and I think socks spoil it all.

I can’t seem to do with feminine sandals…maybe haven’t found one that fit me well. They look really nice but either I feel awkward wearing them or they’re uncomfortable for me.

4. Rynn says

I think heeled booties with deep violet ankle socks would be more appropriate though a bit quirky. Overall, your outfit’s quite nice but it doesn’t really match with your makeup

Deep violet socks sounds cool. I like it quirky as long as the combi works.

Yup, agree on the makeup. That face was quite bare as I didn’t have much on.

5. Rennie says

Personally, I would not suggest wearing socks. The socks would make your legs look shorter than its actual length. Unless you are really tall, this would be not easily pulled off with people with normal to petit height.

Agree if the socks and shoes are of different color. But if they’re of the same color, it’ll look like ankle boots and since it’s heels, it’ll still work for shorter petite pple.

6. DF says

Mismatch in that modcloth ad. It does look weird if the heels are so open and also a different color like someone mentioned. At the end of the day, if YOU love what you are wearing, you’ll look good in it no matter what it is. That’s how I like to think when I’m dressing up, it’s just fun. I get stares all the time too, haha it’s great.

I picked up a vintage dress for $12.00 and it was a great deal! I don’t know if I would look nice w/ socks and pumps, though.

8. madeleine says

Hmm I like the idea of socks and do agree that it ups the quirky factor. But I suggest doing it with a different pair of shoes. The black pair might be a bit too chunky, making the overall look a little too heavy. The socks+shoes pairing appeals to me as a more ‘whimsical’ sort of style. Alternatively, you could try a sheer-er pair of socks to lighten the look but i’d personally do it with another pair of shoes anyway.

this pic might be helpful: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_uuaAc8C3eSA/SuYT_D-XOZI/AAAAAAAAOhY/L7Ocm6sr5as/s640/christian-dior+chiffon+leg+warmers+chiffon+socks.JPG

I’ll like to try the sheer socks sometime. Haven’t got round to purchasing it. I like platform heels though but I like the idea of a different type of heels with sheer socks. And also, another outfit.

9. CT says

I think they are quite cute and get be sexy. Fashion is with no boundaries. wear anything and everything with style.

I was originally really against them but think I might be warming up to them a tiny bit…slowly…