DIY Beauty: make your own eyelash growth serum

DIY Homemade Eyelash Growth DIY Beauty: make your own eyelash growth serum

I’ll love for my eyelashes to be longer but the truth is, I am very lazy when it comes to applying anything on them. However, surprisingly, I noticed that my eyelashes hardly drop and I seem to be growing new lashes on my lower lid, where there were no lashes in the first place. At first I thought it was due to the eye gels I was using but it was later that I realized it’s likely due to the facial oils I’ve been using daily, both day and night. Well, that’s not surprising, considering that a number of oils do help promote hair growth.

Oils nourish hair follicles and promote growth
The most popular oil to promote eyelash growth has to be castor oil, which is said to promote growth as well as help make the lashes look darker. Another one is coconut oil. I’ve also learned that sweet almond oil, olive oil, jojoba oil are also choice candidates to promote the growth of eyelashes because they will nourish the hair follicles and promote growth. Camellia oil and vitamin E oil are also used in some of the recipes.

DIY lash serum DIY Beauty: make your own eyelash growth serum

Use one oil or a mixture of different oils
So if you want to try something more natural to grow your lashes, try making your own! You can choose the easiest way out by picking just one of the oils I’ve mentioned to apply to your lashes every day. Or you can do a mixture of some of these oils – mixing them in equal parts and storing them. For example, mixing equal parts of sweet almond oil, olive oil and castor oil. And if you have an empty lip liner container like what I’ve shown here, you can store your mixture in the container. Otherwise, store the mixture in an empty bottle and apply the serum to your lashes with a clean mascara wand or a cotton bud.

Any eyelash growth serum recipe to share?
Game for this? Or maybe you’re already using a DIY eyelash serum? Well, it’s certainly a more natural recipe to grow your eyelashes but it may take a longer while. I’ve noticed that my eyelashes are stronger but they haven’t grown longer. But that’s pretty impressive already, considering I didn’t apply the oils directly on my eyelashes.

iherb DIY Beauty: make your own eyelash growth serum

vivawoman1 DIY Beauty: make your own eyelash growth serum © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

• says

nope, Pranali…only coconut oil stings in the eyes. almond and castor don’t and as far as my knowledge goes, olive also doesn’t :)
      Swati last post is: Nivea Sun Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30 PA++ {Product Review}

1. vini says

hi!!!
    as per your previous posts, I remember that you buy organic oils from “yours essentially”, I have mailed them several times, but no response :(
    Have they shut shop :O ????

using baby oil to remove make up has also resulted in growth of my eye lashes :)
    Swati last post is: Nivea Sun Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30 PA++ {Product Review}

3. amira says

Hi, I saw a video on youtube before where a girl uses vasline (peroleum jello) to make her eyebrows and eyelashes stronger and darker – she said this the least it can do and for some people it may help the growth and darkness too – and the results duration differs from one person to another (a week to 4 weeks). I tried it, putting it before going to sleep – it helps the skin around the eye too – and I didn’t realize growth (I didn’t do it regularly to be honest) but definitely they were stronger and stopped falling regularly (I used to have thicker longer lashes but I work in front of the computers a lot :( )
    I will definitely use here – I live in Egypt where we have these oils everywhere and I LOVE using oils – Thanks :)

• Sesame says

Yes, I read about vaseline but it’s too heavy but I’m not keen on the ingredient. Natural oils are preferred and it’s great since you can purchase them where you are. :)

In the earliest days when I used coconut oil on my eye wrinkles, I discovered that the oil is amazing in growing my lashes. I guess the length of my lashes, especially my lower lashes, have doubled over the past one to two years. Yay! I actually don’t see the need to buy a dedicated lashes serum. Going natural really has so many benefits!
    Amanda last post is: 10 Lessons I’ve Learnt From My Personal Makeover

Really tempted to try DHC’s lash serum but I don’t want to fork out the dough for the serum. Have you tried copper peptides, Sesame?

Other than it’s collagen regenerating properties, I read somewhere about copper peptides’ hair follicles stimulating abilities. It is clinically proven to promote lusher hair growth. There’s even a copper peptide hair treatment serum called Folligen.

Having tried a copper peptide hair and skincare range myself, I’m a believer in copper peptides for hair growth…so much so that it made me cautious about using it around the upper lip area. Hairs do grow faster and coarser on areas where copper peptides are applied.

• Sesame says

I haven’t tried that ingredient much – think I might have it in some skincare but that’s about it. I might check out if I can get some supplies of the ingredient at skinactives.

I noticed the same thing with my eyelashes too! I’ve been using my own DIY cleansing oil and rotate between argan and rosehip oil as under eye treatment. At first I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me but there was noticeable growth! If you’re looking for good virgin coconut oil, I’d recommend http://www.naturaworks.com/Shop/. Cheers!

7. Hang says

Thankyou for your posts on DIY recipe, I start to try making some product of my own :)
    Could you recommend me some store where I can get variety of carrier oils and essential oils in central malls in Singapore? I need to stock on my next visit to your country.
    Many thanks.

• Sesame says

We have limited stores that carry these things. You can try SuperNature, which I wrote about here http://www.vivawoman.net/2010/04/08/supernature-one-stop-organic-lifestyle-store/. But they don’t really have that many carrier oils if my memory serves me right.

I’ve tried olive oil in the past and it does help to fortify eyelashes and helps them grow too. I heard that massaging the eyelid right were the eyelashes grow can help stimulate hair growth and am trying this technique too I’ll see if it works. Great post I will try some of the other oils you mention.
    Yulia last post is: Facial cleansing brush review

Try warming some vaseline (petroleum jelly) in between your thumb and fore finger and then apply to your lashes/eye area. During the day, Rimmel’s Lash Accelarator mascara helps to strengthen and lengthen the lashes.
    Muslimah Delights last post is: Nail Art – Leopard

10. joan says

Hi Sesame!
    I’m just wondering.. If the oil promotes eye lash hair growth… Does it mean it also promotes hair growth? ( as in hair on your head) I’m desperate since I’m longing for long, luscious hair, but seems like my own hair is not cooperating :(
    Just interested in hearing your opinion !:)

• Sesame says

Yes I believe so but I have not researched what oils will work for the hair. It should be the same type but the thing is, I want something that will not cause so much greasiness. I’m researching into the topic and will post something when I’ve experimented. ;)

• DK says

Definitely castor oil is the answer! 50ml cost 1.2 euros in Greece and although it is indeed greasy (veeery greasy) it is worth it!
        Just use gentle strokes while applying it because it is quite sticky and if your hair is brittle, fragile with split ends like mine, there is a risk of pulling and cutting them! So, go for it but with gentle strokes! Leave it for as long as you can, and be sure to shampoo your hair thoroughly before leaving the house!

• Sesame says

Castor oil is very thick indeed! Okay, maybe I’ll look it up and mix with some others to help promote hair growth. Great that you can get it easily…

11. Hannah says

I did a mix of olive oil and coconut oil, even with just those my eyelashes are much longer and MUCH stronger! Thanks!

12. Sola says

Darn! I wish I had read this before forking over a large amount of money for an expensive branded and highly synthetic chemical-filled lash serum a few months ago.. X6
    Hmm, at least I will know what to do now when the serum runs out.

13. Sade says

The comments here are very helpful! I’m definately gonna go try a mixture of castor oil coconut oil and vitamin E oil!
    I hope it works for me and I will definately share my results

I have been using almond oil, vitamin E oil, jojoba oil, and castor oil for many months. I noticed a giant difference and it actually worked. I know that you said that it’s okay to mix the oils, but will there be some oils that shouldn’t be mixed together?
    Example: almond, vitamin E, jojoba, castor, olive, + coconut all mixed together?
    Or castor + jojoba?

15. denise says

i am looking to try something like this, i have eyelash extensions in and the last time half of my eyelashes were lost and a year later still not grown back as long as they were before!

since i have olive oil in the cupboard i am going to try that :) your advise is great :) wish me luck :)

As far as using oils when you have eyelash extensions, this will cause your enhancements to fall out. I use warmed oil to remove the glue when I redo the extensions.
    All of the oils are fantastic and should help with eyelash integrity
    Have a great day and evening