DIY Beauty: how to make liquid soap from soap bar

DIY liquid soap DIY Beauty: how to make liquid soap from soap bar

I’ve been wanting to make my own liquid soap but haven’t found an easy recipe with a short ingredient list. So this is the next best thing – to create liquid soap from a soap bar. I promise you, this is a no-brainer DIY recipe and if you have tons of soap bars and don’t know what to do with them too, this is gonna be useful for you too.

What you need
What you’ll need for this recipe is a grater, a small pot, an empty liquid soap dispenser, water and of course, a bar of soap. I can’t give you exact measurements for this recipe but I basically made about 200ml of liquid soap with less than a quarter of the soap.

DIY liquid soap making DIY Beauty: how to make liquid soap from soap bar

How to make
Just grate the soap bar into soap flakes. Bring about 200ml of water to boil and add the soap flakes, stir until they all melt. The mixture will be very liquidy but would become thicker when it cools down. If it seems too liquidy, reheat and add more soap flakes.

Optional ingredients to add
In some recipes, you are recommended to add glycerin, which I believe will make the consistency thicker but I skipped that process since I didn’t have the ingredient. You can also add drops of essential oil of your choice to alter the scent.

soapy liquid soap DIY Beauty: how to make liquid soap from soap bar

Turned out foamy
While I don’t mind using soap bars, but some care needs to be made to prevent the soap bar from turning soggy. So I like the idea of being able to turn the soap bar into liquid soap. Initially, I was concerned that this liquid soap would not foam. But as you can see, it ain’t too bad and I can use this as a hand wash. I guess I can probably make it more soapy for a body wash if I add more soap flakes but I’ll make do with this for the time being.

vivawoman1 DIY Beauty: how to make liquid soap from soap bar © www.vivawoman.net copyright notice

Comments

thanks for this post! i have some crabtree & evelyn soap bars that i am too lazy to use. may want to try this to save my bar of soap from rotting in the dark corner! but first i got to buy a new pot/non cooking pot just for this purpose…
    xin last post is: Your Say: Are you afraid of extractions during facial?

2. Santhi says

I have tried tis with African Black soap to use as hair wash. But it turned to gel so I didn’t try with my other soap stash… Glycerin at Phoon Huat. Thinking about getting melt n pour base to try soap bars :))

haha, sounds like a good idea for my bar soap collection! I have become quite obsessed with bathing only using bars.
    Jyoan last post is: Sasa Sasatinnie Shape & Style Lipstick in 08 Glam Berry

• Sesame says

Then you should just continue using the bars…I don’t mind them for bathing but sometimes they turn soggy too quickly.

this is interesting….would it work for shampoo bars as well??? any idea??
    Swati last post is: Spinach Banana Health Drink {Health Recipe}

5. Sanne says

Great! I have also seen the glycerine recipe. But it’s normal water, wouldn’t that cause bacteria, since it isn’t destilled?

• Sesame says

Thanks for bring this up. It’s definitely better to use distilled water. Actually I did…just that my came straight from the tap through a filtering system so I forgot to mention. But with normal water, it shouldn’t contribute to bacteria growth too cos the soap already has some preserving ingredients. If you’re concerned, add some essential oils.

• Sanne says

Thanks again! Just saw this post again because we ran out of hand soap and next to it there’s a bar of soap of mine that we barely use. So I’m going to turn it over :)

• Sesame says

I think it’s the ratio of water added…could have been too much soap flakes? Can tweak if it’s gloopy…add more water and reboil.

We’d love to try this out! Do you have any idea where we can buy Glycerin from?
    Zaggora Girl last post is: What’s in Your Bag? Upcoming Zaggora Bag Can Tote it All